Tomeka Dowling strategically searches for avenues to implement solutions toward standardization, enhancement, and advancement of nursing education. She has had the privilege of collaborating with several leaders within Virginia’s higher education community to bring structure, standards, and processes that strengthen the core of higher education and nursing programs. Working with various professional groups has allowed her opportunity to promote excellence in nursing education while meeting the state’s need for a competent and diverse nursing workforce. Intrigued by the state of nursing education, Dr. Dowling proactively seeks opportunities to improve the specialty and be an integral part of creative collaborations to bring structure, standards and processes that strengthen the core of higher education and nursing education programs across Virginia.
Dr. Dowling is a member of Sigma Theta Tau International Nursing Honor Society and Counselor for UVA's Beta Kappa chapter, an advisory board member for the Virginia Board of Education and a board member of the Virginia League for Nursing. Beginning in May 2018, she became president of the Virginia League for Nursing, a state constituent league for the 124-year old National League for Nursing which is the nation's first professional nursing organization.
Having earned both a BSN and an MSN from Hampton University, Dowling went on to earn a Doctor of Nursing Practice degree from George Washington University in 2016. At UVA, she is the coordinator for the School's fast-growing RN to BSN program.
Teaching FocusUndergraduate and graduate courses in Fundamentals of Nursing, Health Assessment, Health Policy, Trends & Issues, Leadership & Management, and Community Health Nursing.
- Virginia League for Nursing President-Elect (2016-2018); President (2018-2020)
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society, Beta Kappa Chapter Counselor (2017-2019)
- Virginia Board of Education, Career and Technology Education Advisory Board Member (2015-2018)
- Virginia League for Nursing Board Member, Nominating Committee Chair (2014-2016)
Metzger, M., Dowling, T., Guinn, J., & Wilson, D. T. (2020). Inclusivity in baccalaureatenursing education: A scoping study. Journal of Professional Nursing, 36, 5-14.
Metzger, M., Dowling, T., Guinn, J., & Wilson, D. T. (2020). Inclusivity in baccalaureate nursing education: A scoping study. Journal of Professional Nursing, 36(1), 5-14. doi:10.1016/j.profnurs.2019.06.002
- Dowling, T. (2016, November). Evaluating characteristics that influence completion rates of baccalaureate nursing students. Poster presentation at American Association of Colleges of Nursing Baccalaureate Education Conference. San Diego, California.
- Dowling, T. (2016, April). Evaluating characteristics that influence completion rates of baccalaureate nursing students. Oral presentation at Virginia League for Nursing Annual Meeting and Conference. Chesterfield, Virginia.