Application Essay Questions
We live in a diverse society and must be prepared to care for patients and their families across a wide range of backgrounds and identities. Describe a situation in which you were faced with caring for a patient from a background that was both different from yours and unfamiliar to you.
What was your initial perception of the sociocultural factors affecting the situation?
What resources did you draw upon to enhance your effectiveness?
What were your challenges and how did you overcome them?
Resilience is a predictor of graduate student success, tell us about how you developed your own sense of resilience by sharing an incident, or experience in your life that fostered your growth.
In thinking about your own personal experience or incident, reflect on how you developed those resilience factors leading to your growth.
How did you know you needed to be resilient?
How did you demonstrate resilience?
- You have a BSN or MSN and want to take a course on a non-degree basis (non-degree seeking student status)
- You want to do post-doctoral work in nursing (post-doctoral fellowships)
Fee Waiver Information
Applicants to the graduate programs who believe they may qualify for an application fee waiver should review the application fee waiver information.
- BSN: November 1 (Early Action deadline) or January 1 (Regular Decision deadline)
- RN to BSN and undergraduate transfer: March 1
- CNL master’s entry to nursing: October 1
- MSN (except CNL master’s entry), post-master’s certificate, and DNP: Jan 5
- PhD in Nursing: December 15
Notice of Non-Discrimination and Equal Opportunity
Please see the University of Virginia's Notice of Non-Discrimination and Equal Opportunity for a listing of appropriate resources as well as contacts for staff, students and others.