Scholarships and Awards
Funding Resources for Nursing Students and Alumni
This page has resources for UVA School of Nursing students and alumni to explore, including scholarships, awards and other funding assistance.
If you would like to support these areas at the School of Nursing, please visit our scholarships or awards giving pages.
Scholarships for Current UVA Nursing Students
The School of Nursing Alumni Association sponsors scholarships and fellowships for current nursing students:
- Roy Beazley Merit Scholarships ($2,500 each for the 2020-2021 academic year)
- Graduate Merit Fellowships ($2,500 each for the 2020-2021 academic year)
- BSN to DNP Pathway Scholarship ($2,500 for the 2020-2021 academic year)
For more information, contact the School of Nursing Office of Admissions and Student Services.
Scholarships and Resources for UVA Nursing Alumni
School of Nursing Alumni Scholarship
The SONAA sponsors an annual alumni scholarship for a UVA nursing alumna/alumnus returning for additional nursing education at any institution. All UVA nursing alumni who are enrolled in a degree-granting program or certificate program are eligible to apply. Applications are due July 8, and are reviewed by the Alumni Council Scholarship Committee. The recipient will be notified via email.
Complete the School of Nursing Alumni Scholarship application.
Tabitha S. Grier Medical Assistance Fund
On behalf of the SONAA, the School of Nursing Alumni & Development Office accepts applications throughout the year for this fund. Awards are available to UVA nursing alumni who need help shouldering the burden of their health care bills. All qualified alumni are invited and encouraged to apply. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
Criteria for application
- Applicant must be a UVA School of Nursing alumna or alumnus, and funds must be used for personal medical expenses (not those of a family member or spouse).
- Funds shall be used toward out of pocket health care costs not covered by insurance, Medicare or Medicaid.
- Funds can be used toward copayments, medications, physician or nursing care, in-home or nursing home expenses, medical supplies and/or equipment, or hospitalization.
- Applicant must be able to demonstrate financial need. Examples of need may include temporary or permanent job loss; inability to work based on illness, injury or disability; lack of sufficient health insurance; low income to expense ratio.
No age restrictions.
Download the Grier Fund Application.
Mail complete application packet to:
UVA School of Nursing Alumni Association
Attention: Grier Fund Selection Committee
Alumni & Development Office
PO Box 801015
Charlottesville, VA 22908-0105
Questions may be directed to the Alumni & Development Office, (434) 924-0138.
Nominate a UVA nursing alumna/alumnus for one of the SONAA prestigious alumni awards, selected annually:
- Distinguished Alumni Award: The SONAA's highest recognition, it is awarded to a graduate who has demonstrated outstanding contributions in one or more of the following areas: teaching and scholarship, leadership, research, clinical practice, and/or contributions to the Nursing Alumni Association.
- Decade Award: Recognizes outstanding efforts early in a graduate's nursing career. To be considered for this award, nominees must have received their entry level nursing degree (BSN or CNL) from the UVA School of Nursing less than 10 years ago; still be engaged in the practice of nursing; and have been practicing nursing for less than 10 years. Nominees should show distinction in the areas of scholarship, leadership, teaching, research, nursing practice, and/or volunteer efforts, perhaps beyond what might be expected early in one's career; to some extent, this award recognizes promise for the future and an expectation of sustained excellence.
The nomination due date has been extended to August 12th. Nominations are reviewed by the Alumni Council Awards Committee. Recipients are notified in August and formally announced in the fall.