I see, and I remember. I do, and I understand. – Lao Tzu
Mary Morton Parsons Clinical Simulation Learning Center (CSLC)
The CSLC provides students and healthcare professionals access to a variety of safe, realistic clinical environments to learn and practice assessment and care skills with limited consequence and immediate feedback.
Every day of the week, the 9,200 square-foot lab provides dozens with broad access to a variety of high-tech practice environments where they apply concepts, skills, and behaviors learned in the classroom. Established in 1990 and expanded in 2012, the CSLC’s active learning and teaching model has repeatedly proven effective, and deepens the service, teaching and research partnerships with UVA Health System and beyond.
We believe that everyone participating in activities in the UVA SON is intelligent, capable, and cares about doing their best and wants to improve.
-modified from the Harvard Center for Medical Simulation
Located on McLeod Hall’s 3rd floor, the 9,200 square foot lab, which emulates a hospital unit, includes:
- Theresa A. Thomas Intensive Care Simulation Laboratory (room 3029): a two-bed unit where students learn and practice management of acute or critical care situations
- Reed Physical Assessment Laboratory (room 3008): an eight-bed unit
- Two clinical education suites that include an isolation room for practice in infection control (rooms 3038 & 3026)
- Women’s and children’s simulation unit (room 3009): a three-bed mock labor and delivery unit with high-fidelity birthing and pediatric simulators
- Virtual reality lab (room 3012): offers access to computerized patient simulators
- Two A/V control rooms and debriefing rooms: for recording and live-streaming simulations in progress and debriefing with students afterwards
- A family of nine high-fidelity manikins, including adult men, women, children, and premature infants
Please direct requests for resources and lab reservations to the CSLC director.
Food and drinks are not permitted in the CSLC, per Occupational Safety and Health Administration guidelines. This rule must be strictly reinforced by faculty to ensure safety and preservation of resources.
202 Jeanette Lancaster Blvd., 3rd floor, McLeod Hall
Charlottesville, VA 22908
M & W, 12 to 5 PM
T, Th, & F - 9 AM to 5 PM