Personal StatementI am a Translational Health Institute of Virginia (Thriv) scholar where I'm studying innovative approaches to predictive analytics in the healthcare system. I also study innovation policy (information economy, health IT, data/analytics, biotech, drug/vaccine/device, clinical trial, regulatory science), implementation science perspectives, and the role of patient engagement/advocacy.
- Wake Forest University School of Medicine - Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, Department of Social Sciences & Health Policy (2013)
- University of Virginia - PhD, Nursing (2011)
- University of Virginia - MSN, Clinical Nurse Leader (2008)
- University of Virginia - MS, Department of Public Health Sciences (2005)
- Wake Forest University - BS, Biology, minor Chemistry (2004)
Research FocusPediatric, adolescent and young adult health (focus on hematology-oncology and other life-limiting and life-threatening conditions); children with special health care needs and medical complexity; pediatric palliative care; health literacy, health communication & vulnerable populations; predictive analytics and the role of health IT; access to clinical trials; health policy; social justice & patient advocacy; innovation policy (information economy, health IT, data/analytics, biotech, drug/vaccine/device, clinical trial); regulatory science; methods focus: qualitative, mixed methods, clinical outcomes, policy analysis, implementation science.
Currently Funded Grants
- (2017-2020) Translational Health Institute of Virginia Scholars Program (Keim-Malpass, PI). A Pragmatic Clinical Trial Evaluating Impact of Continuous Predictive Monitoring on a Nurse-Driven Outcome in a Dynamic Intensive Care Setting.
- (2017-2019) Lucile Packard Foundation for Children's Health (Keim-Malpass, PI). Analysis of Home and Community-Based Waiver Services Among Children with Medical Complexity: Are States Providing Family-Centered Care?
- (2017-2018)American Cancer Society IRG Grant (Keim-Malpass, PI). Assessment of accrual success for early phase pediatric oncology therapuetic trials.(2017-2018) University of Virginia Cancer Control and Population Health. Towards family-centered clinical trials for young people.
- (2016-2017) University of Virginia, School of Nursing, Oscar and Ruth Lanford Research Award (Keim-Malpass and Vergales, Co-PI). Assessing the Feasibility and Acceptability of Technology-Enhanced Home Monitoring for the Pediatric Single Ventricle Cardiology Population: Opportunities for Family Engagement.
- (2016-2017) Merck and Company (PI: R Balkrishnan). Exploring Issues related to Vaccine Hesitancy in HPV: Development of a cancer risk-focused educational intervention. Role: Co-I
- (2016). Virginia Department of Health, Office of Family Health Services, Division of Child and Family Health and Children/Youth with Special Health Care Needs. (Co-PIs: Keim-Malpass & DeGuzman). Evaluation of Child Development Centers in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- (2015-2017). University of Virginia, Cancer Prevention and Control Grant. (PI: DeGuzman). A Pilot Study to Explore the Survivorship Needs of Rural, Low-Income Cancer Patients. Role: Co-I.
- (2014-2015). NIH/NCI P30CA044579 (PI on core grant: T. Loughran, MD, University of Virginia School of Medicine, Project PI for P30: Keim-Malpass). Building a foundation for increased HPV vaccination rates in the University of Virginia Cancer Center’s Catchment area: Focus on health communication and policy implications of adolescent HPV immunization among medically underserved communities.
Clinical FocusPediatric and young adult oncology; pediatric critical care; breast oncology.
Teaching FocusQualitative methods, health policy, medical/surgical nursing, pediatric nursing
News and TV
- ScienceNews: Magazine of the Society for Science and Health (4-28-17) HPV vaccine as cancer prevention is a message that needs to catch on
- NPR/WMRA (4-25-17) Why are HPV vaccination rates so low?
- Richmond Times-Dispatch (4-22-17) Obamacare repeal hurts kids who need hospice
- TONIC (3-27-17) Dying kids benefit from Obamacare in a big way
- NBC29 (1-11-17) - UVA endorses new HPV vaccine recommendation
- Daily Progress (1-28-16) Cancer center calls for HPV vaccines for girls and boys
- CBS19 Newsplex (1-28-16) UVA Cancer Center among dozens pushing for HPV vaccinations
- WVTF/NPR (11-25-15) - Virginia led, then lagged on giving the HPV vaccine
- UVA Today (11-15-15) - Study: Teens more apt to complete HPV vaccine series when given with other shots
- Cville Weekly (5-28-15) - Let's talk shots: The HPV conversation isn't easy, but it's important
- Daily Progress (2-5-15) - UVA team studying why so few Virginia girls get HPV vaccine
- WVTF/NPR (2-4-15) - Why Girls Aren't Getting the HPV vaccine
- NBC29 (2-4-15) - UVA studies Virginia's low HPV vaccinations
- Newsplex (2-4-15) - Study to understand why Virginia girls opt out of HPV vaccine
- UVA Today (2-4-15) - Study seeks to understand why girls aren't getting the HPV vaccine
Baumgarten, H. D., Showalter, S. L., Rochman, C. M., & Keim-Malpass, J. (2017). Erythematous, friable nipple with loss of protrusion – history of breastfeeding – dx? Journal of Family Practice, 66(12), 758-760.
Park, E., Kulbok, P., Malpass, J., Drake, E., & Kennedy, M. (2017). Adolescent smoking prevention: Feasibility and effect of participatory video production. Journal of Pediatric Nursing, 36(10), 197-204. doi:10.1016/j.pedn.2017.07.001
DeGuzman, P. B., Cotilon, K., Nail, C., & Keim-Malpass, J. (2017). Survivorship care plans: Rural, low-income breast cancer survivor perspectives. Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing, 21(6), 692-698. doi:10.1188/17.CJON.692-698
DeGuzman, P. B., Altrui, P., Allen, M., Deagle, C., & Keim-Malpass, J. (2017). Geospatial gaps in early identification of children with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Journal of Pediatric Health Care, 31(6), 663-670. doi:10.1016/j.pedhc.2017.05.003
Alcala, H., Keim-Malpass, J., & Mitchell, E. (2017). Adverse childhood experiences and colorectal cancer screening: Do all adversities matter? Child Abuse and Neglect, 69, 145-150. doi:10.1016/j.chiabu.2017.04.026
Keim-Malpass, J., Mitchell, E. M., Sun, E., & Kennedy, C. (2017). Using Twitter to understand public perceptions regarding the #HPV vaccine: Opportunities for public health nurses to engage in social marketing. Public Health Nursing, 34(4), 316-323. doi:10.1111/phn.12318
Keim-Malpass, J., Mihalko, S. L., Russell, G., Case, D., Miller, B., & Avis, N. E. (2017). Problems experienced by ovarian cancer survivors during treatment. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic & Neonatal Nursing, 46, 544-577. doi:10.1016/j.jogn.2017.04.134
Park, E., Kulbok, P., Keim-Malpass, J., Drake, E., & Kennedy, M. J. (2017). Adolescent smoking prevention: Feasibility and effect of participatory video production. Journal of Pediatric Nursing, 36, 197-204. doi:10.1016/j.pedn.2017.07.001
Keim-Malpass, J., & Lindley, L. C. (2017). Repeal of the Affordable Care Act will negatively impact children at the end of life. Pediatrics, 140(3), e20171134. doi:10.1542/peds.2017-1134
Keim-Malpass, J. & Lindley, L. C. (2017). End-of-life transitions and hospice utilization for adolescents and young adults: Does having a usual source of care matter? Journal of Hospice and Palliative Nursing, 19(4), 376-382. doi:10.1097/NJH.0000000000000361
Letzkus, L. C., Keim-Malpass, J., Anderson, J., & Kennedy, C. (2017). Paroxysmal sympathetic hyperactivity in children: An exploratory evaluation of nursing interventions. Journal of Pediatric Nursing, 34, e17-21. doi:10.1016/j.pedn.2017.02.034
Keim-Malpass, J., Doede, A., Kennedy, C., & Showalter, S. L. (2017). Health literacy assessment: Feasibility in a breast surgical oncology clinic. Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing, 21(3), 384-386. doi:10.1188/17.CJON.384-386
Lindley, L., & Keim-Malpass, J. (2017). Quality of pediatric hospice care for children with and without multiple complex chronic conditions. International Journal of Palliative Nursing, 23(5), 112-119. doi:10.12968/ijpn.2017.23.5.230
Keim-Malpass, J., Mitchell, E. M., DeGuzman, P., Stoler, M., & Kennedy, C. (2017). Legislative activity related to the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine in the United States (2006-2015): A cry for evidence-based policy. Risk Management and Healthcare Policy, 10, 29-32. doi:10.2147/rmhp.s128247
Anderson, J. G., Hundt, E., Dean, M., Keim-Malpass, J., & Lopez, R. (2017). “The church of online support”: Examining the use of blogs and social media among family caregivers of persons with dementia. Journal of Family Nursing, 23(1), 34-54. doi:10.1177/1074840716681289
Beaird, G., Dent, J., Keim-Malpass, J., Muller, A. G., Nelson, N., & Brashers, V. (2017). The perceptions of teamwork in the interprofessional bedside rounding process. Journal for Healthcare Quality, 39(2), 95-106. doi:10.1097/JHQ.0000000000000068
Prescott, S., & Keim-Malpass, J. (2017). Patent ductus arteriosus in the preterm infant: Diagnostic and treatment options. Advances in Neonatal Care, 17(1), 10-18. doi:10.1097/ANC.0000000000000340
Alcala, H., Mitchell, E., & Keim-Malpass, J. (2017). Adverse childhood experiences and cervical cancer screening. Journal of Women’s Health, 26(1), 58-63. doi:10.1089/jwh.2016.5823
Croson, E. & Keim-Malpass, J. (2016). Grief and gracefulness regarding cancer experiences among young women. Oncology Nursing Forum, 43(6), 747-753. doi:10.1188/16.ONF.747-753
Letzkus, L., Keim-Malpass, J., & Kennedy, C. (2016). Paroxysmal sympathetic hyperactivity: Autonomic Instability and muscle over-activity following severe brain injury. Brain Injury, 30(10), 1181-1185. doi:10.1080/02699052.2016.1184757
Keim-Malpass, J., Levine, B., Danhauer, SC., & Avis, NE. (2016). Work-related perceptions and quality of life among breast cancer survivors. Psycho-Oncology, 25(7), 873-6. doi:10.1002/pon.3951
Keim-Malpass, J., Stegenga, K., Loudin, B., Kennedy, C., & Kools, S. (2016). "It's back! My remission is over”: Online communication of disease progression among adolescents with cancer. Journal of Pediatric Oncology Nursing, 33(3), 209-17. doi:10.1177/1043454215600424
Greco, G., Ferket, BS., D’Allessandro, DA., Shi, W., Hovarth, K., Rosen, A., Welsh, S., Bagiella, E., Neill, A., Williams, DL., Greenberg, A., Browndyke, JN., Gillinov, M., Mayer, MY., Keim-Malpass, J., Gupta, L., Hohmann, SF., Gelijins, AC., O’Gara, PT., & Moskowitz, AJ. (2016). Diabetes and association of postoperative hyperglycemia with clinical and economic outcomes. Diabetes Care, 39(3), 408-417. doi:10.2337/dc15-1817
Keim-Malpass, J., Adelstein, K., Kavalieratos, D. (2015). Legacy-making through illness blogs: Online spaces for young adults approaching the end-of-life. Journal of Adolescent and Young Adult Oncology, 4(4), 209-12. doi:10.1089/jayao.2015.0003
DeGuzman, PB., Sherman, J., Sheffield, C., Hauser, L., Keim-Malpass, J. (2015). Understanding gaps in patient navigation for rural cancer survivors. Journal of Oncology Navigation & Survivorship, 6(5), 34-40.
Keim-Malpass, J., Mitchell, E.M., Camacho, T.F. (2015). HPV vaccination series completion and co-vaccination: Pairing vaccines may matter for adolescents. Vaccine, 33(43), 5729-32. doi:10.1016/j.vaccine.2015.09.077
Malpass, H.C., Enfield, K.B., Keim-Malpass, J., Verghese, G.M. (2015). The interhospital medical intensive care unit transfer instrument facilitates early implementation of critical therapies and is associated with fewer emergent procedures upon arrival. Journal of Intensive Care Medicine, 30(6), 351-7. doi:10.1177/0885066614521964
Keim-Malpass, J., Letzkus, L.C., & Kennedy, C. (2015). Parental/Caregiver health literacy among children with special health care needs: A systematic review. BMC Pediatrics, 15(92), 1-10. doi:10.1186/s12887-015-0412-x
Keim-Malpass, J., Mitchell, E.M., Blackhall, L., & DeGuzman, P.B. (2015). Evaluating stakeholder-identified barriers in accessing palliative care at an NCI-designated cancer center with a rural catchment area. Journal of Palliative Medicine, 18(7), 634-7. doi:10.1089/jpm.2015.0032
Keim-Malpass, J., Letzkus, L. C., & Kennedy, C. (2015). Health literacy and the Affordable Care Act: Implications for children with special health care needs. Risk Management and Healthcare Policy, 8, 31-36. doi:10.2147/RMHP.S80699
Keim-Malpass, J., Lavigne, JL., Pope, J., Oesterheld, J. (2015). Mean platelet volume as a predictor of acute versus chronic immune thrombocytopenic purpura in children: An exploratory analysis. Clinical Nursing Studies, 3(3), 23-26. doi:10.5430/cns.v3n3p23
Kavalieratos, D., Ernecoff, NC., Keim-Malpass, J., Degenholtz H. (2015). Knowledge, attitudes, and preferences of young adults regarding advance care planning: A focus group study of university students in Pittsburgh, USA. BMC- Public Health, 15, 197-203. doi:10.1186/s12889-015-1575-y
Keim-Malpass, J., Spears, C.R., Quandt, S.A., Arcury, T.A. (2015). Perceptions of housing conditions among migrant farmworkers and their families: Implications for health, safety and social policy. Rural and Remote Health, 15, 3076.
Baernholdt, M., Keim-Malpass, J., Hinton, I. D., Yan, G., & Bratt, M. (2014). A comparison of quality of care in critical access hospitals and other small rural hospitals. Online Journal of Rural Nursing and Health Care, 14(2), 3-31.
Keim-Malpass, J., Erickson, J., & Malpass, H.C. (2014). End-of-life care characteristics for young adults with cancer who die in the hospital. Journal of Palliative Medicine, 17(12), 1359-1364. doi:10.1089/jpm.2013.0661
Malpass, J., Steeves, R. H., & Kennedy, C. (2014). Internet ethnography: A review of methodological considerations for studying online illness blogs. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 51(12), 1686-1692. doi:10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2014.06.003
Keim-Malpass, J., Mills, A., & Showalter, S. (2014). Malignant phyllodes tumor of the breast: A case study. Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing, 18(5), 595-597. doi:10.1188/14.cjon.595-597
Keim-Malpass, J., Hart, T. G., Miller, J. R. (2013). Coverage of palliative and hospice care for pediatric patients with a life-limiting illness: A policy brief. Journal of Pediatric Health Care, 27(6), 511-516. doi:10.1016/j.pedhc.2013.07.011
Keim-Malpass, J., Albrecht, T.A., Steeves, R.H., & Danhauer, S.C. (2013). Young women’s experiences with complementary therapies during cancer described through illness blogs. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 35(10), 1309-1324.
Keim-Malpass, J., Baernholdt, M., Erickson, J. M., Ropka, M. E., Schroen, A.T., & Steeves, R. H. (2013). Blogging through cancer: Young women’s persistent problems shared online. Cancer Nursing, 36(2), 163-172. doi:10.1097/NCC.0b013e31824eb879
Keim-Malpass, J., Steeves, R. H. (2012). Talking with death at a diner: Young women’s online narratives of cancer. Oncology Nursing Forum, 39(4), 373-8. doi: 10.1188/12.ONF.373-378.
Ropka, ME., Keim, J, Philbrick, JT (2010). Patient decisions about breast cancer chemoprevention: A systematic review. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 28(18), 3090-5. doi:10.1200/JCO.2009.27.8077
Danhauer, S. C., Malpass, J., Hurt, G., & Vitolins, M. (2009). A survey of cancer patient preferences: Which type of snacks do they prefer during treatment? European Journal of Cancer Care, 18(1), 37-42. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2354.2007.00881.x
Keim, JL., Theodorescu, D. (2006). Robot-assisted radical cystectomy in the management of bladder cancer. The Scientific World Journal, 6, 2560-2565. doi:10.1100/tsw.2006.396
Moon, K., Stukenborg, G., Keim, J., Theodorescu, D. (2006). Cancer incidence after localized therapy for prostate cancer. Cancer, 107(5), 991-98. doi:10.1002/cncr.22083
Keim-Malpass, J. (2016). Patient advocacy. In J.M. Erickson & K. Payne (Eds.), Ethics in oncology nursing (pp. 77-100). Pittsburgh, PA: Oncology Nursing Society.
Brashers, V., Phillips, E., Malpass, J., & Owen, J. (2015). Appendix A: Review: Measuring the impact of interprofessional education on collaborative practice and patient outcomes. In IOM (Institute of Medicine) (Eds.), Report: Measuring the impact of interprofessional education on collaborative practice and patient outcomes (pp. 57-92). Washington, DC: The National Academies Press.
Columns, Editorials and Op-Eds
Malpass, J., & Lindley, L. (2017, April 23). Obamacare repeal hurts kids who need hospice [Column]. Richmond Times Dispatch. Retrieved from http://www.richmond.com/opinion/their-opinion/guest-columnists/jessica-keim-malpass-lisa-c-lindley-column-obamacare-repeal-hurts/article_00f290ae-ba4a-5506-ae17-8113d7d0d17f.html.