Ranked among the nation's very best
- 816 students (436 undergrads, 380 grad students)
- Nearly 3 in 10 students are from underrepresented/minority backgrounds
- About 20% of students are male
- 10 key healthcare/nursing presidents and past-presidents among our faculty
- 12 endowed professorships
- 12,000+ alumni across 50 states and 25 countries
- 4 degree programs
Areas of excellence, research and service:
- The Compassionate Care Initiative
- Center for Interprofessional Collaborations
- The Bjoring Center for Nursing Historical Inquiry
- The Inclusion, Diversity and Excellence Achievement initiative
- The Center for Appreciative Practice
Ranked among the best
Ranked #8 in the nation among public nursing graduate programs, #10 among public nursing undergraduate programs,#19 for MSN, and #24 for our Doctor of Nursing Practice program, UVA is also home to a #1-in-the-nation Clinical Nurse Leader master's program (2021 US News & World Report)
- #8 public nursing graduate program in the U.S.
- #10 public BSN program, U.S.
- #19 MSN
- #24 DNP
- (US News & World Report, 2022)
NCLEX Pass Rates
The School of Nursing is located in McLeod Hall and in the Claude Moore Nursing Education Building. Both buildings are equipped with wireless access to the University’s secure network. Students and faculty also visit the nearby Health Sciences Library for academic and scholarly resources.
Claude Moore Nursing Education Building
With generous lecture halls and well-equipped classrooms outfitted with the latest technologies, meeting rooms and common areas to promote interaction and collaboration, the Claude Moore Nursing Education Building opened in June of 2008. It’s also a great place to take the stairs, grab coffee or just sit and talk with friends and professors. At Claude Moore Nursing, you’ll find:
- Office of Admissions and Student Services for the School of Nursing
- Student Life Center
- Four lecture-sized classrooms
- Nursing faculty offices on floors two and three
Erected in 1972, McLeod Hall underwent a floor-by-floor face-lift between 2012 and 2015 and today sports two resilience rooms for yoga, meditation and mindfulness instruction, high-tech classrooms, and a reimagined, high-tech 9,200 square foot simulation center.
The first floor is home to Café McLeod, a popular destination for students, staff and faculty alike looking for a fresh sandwich, salad or refreshment, and home to the Bjoring Center for Nursing Historical Inquiry—one of four such centers in the entire country.
McLeod's first floor is also home to a 475-seat auditorium while the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th floors are home to faculty offices. The Office for Nursing Research is on the fourth floor.
The School of Nursing is part of the the UVA Health System.
*National and state nursing organization presidents and past-presidents on faculty
- American Academy of Nursing president-elect Ken White (2019-2021; president from 2021-2023)
- Virginia League for Nursing president Tomeka Dowling (2018-2020)
- Southern Gerontological Society president Ishan Williams (2019-2020)
- American Association for the History of Nursing president Arlene Keeling (2018-2020)
- Society for Preventionist Research chair Katrina Debnam (2019-2020)
- ANA past president Pam Cipriano (2015-2018)
- AACN past president Clareen Wiencek (2015-2017)
- AAHN past president Mary Gibson (2016-2018)
- AWHONN past president Emily Drake (2016-2018)
- Virginia Colleges of Nursing past president Dorrie K. Fontaine (2010-2018)