An acute care nurse practitioner, an advanced certified hospice and palliative care nurse and a long time critical care nursing alumnus, Clareen Wiencek -- current past-president of the American Association of Critical-Care Nurses, the largest specialty nursing organization in the world -- has been an associate professor at UVA since 2015 where she directs the School's masters and DNP programs.
With a BSN from the University of Cincinnati and a masters (med-surg nursing) and PhD from Case Western Reserve University, Wiencek is a passionate advocate for teaching palliative care to nursing students at all levels. Before her arrival at UVA, she was nurse manager at the Thomas Palliative Care Unit at VCU Health System, program director at VCU's Center for Integrative Pain Management, and an NP at University Hospital's Case Medical Center in Cleveland.
Honors and Awards
- President, American Association of Critical-Care Nurses (2015-2017)
- Nominee, Transformational Leadership, VCUHS Week of the Nurse (2013, 2014)
- Recipient, Circle of Excellence Award, AACN (2010)
- UHCMC APN Clinical Excellence Award (2010)
- Robert Gallienne Excellence in Critical Care Award, UHCMC (2008)
- Dissertation research grant, Midwest Nursing Research Society (2008)
- Educational scholarship, AACN (2006)
Clinical FocusPalliative care; hospice care; critical care nursing; end-of-life care; nursing leadership; pain management.
News and TV
- NTI Keynote address - AACN Tube (5-25-16)
- Courageous care, jugglers and the kitchen sink: It all matters - NTI Voices (5-15-16)
- Defying death in a death-defying culture - Huffington Post (5-2-16)
- No easy answers - Nurse.com (3-4-14)
Wiencek, C. (2016). Walk a mile in my shoes. Bold Voices, 8(12), 21-22.
Wiencek, C. (2016). A new vital sign. Bold Voices, 8(11), 21-22.
Wiencek, C. (2016). Speaking up about what matters. Bold Voices, 8(10), 21-22.
Wiencek, C. (2016). What does and doesn’t matter. Bold Voices, 8(9), 21-22.
Wiencek, C. (2016). The greatest innovation. Bold Voices, 8(8), 21-22.
Wiencek, C. (2016). It Matters. Bold Voices, 8(7), 21-22.
Wiencek, C., Lavandero, R., & Berlinger, N. (2016). From the team to the table: Nursing societies and health care organizational ethics. Hastings Center Report, 46, 32-34.
White, K., Roczen, M., Coyne, P., & Wiencek, C. (2014). Acute and critical care nurses' perceptions of palliative care competencies: A pilot study. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, 45(6), 265-277.
Wiencek, C., & Coyne, P. (2014). Palliative care delivery models. Seminars in Oncology Nursing, 30(1), 227-233. doi:10.1016/j.soncn.2014.08.004
Grant, M., Wiencek, C., Virani, R. et al (2013). End-of-life education in acute and criticalcare: The California ELNEC Project. AACN Advanced Critical Care, 24, 121-129.
Gutgsell, K., Schlucher, M., Margevicius, S. DeGolia, P., McLaughlin, B., Harris, M., Mecklenburg, J., & Wiencek, C. (2013). Music therapy reduces pain in palliative care patients: A randomized controlled trial. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, 45, 822-831.
Wiencek, C. & Webster, L. (2012). Preparing for sudden cardiac death following implantable cardioverter-defibrillator deactivation: Case study analysis. Journal of Hospice and Palliative Nursing, 14, 478-483.
Brennan, C., Prince-Paul, M., & Wiencek, C. (2011). Providing a “good death” for oncology patients during the final hours of life in the Intensive Care Unit. AACN Advanced Critical Care, 22, 379-396.
Wiencek, C., Ferrell, B. & Jackson, M. (2011). The meaning of our work: Caring for the critically ill patient with cancer. AACN Advanced Critical Care, 22, 397-407.
Anthony, K., Wiencek, C., Bauer, C., Daly, B., & Anthony, M. (2010). No interruptions please: Impact of a no interruption zone on medication safety in intensive care units. Critical Care Nurse, 30, 21-29.
Daly, B, Douglas, S., Wiencek, C. (2010). Effectiveness trial of an intensive communication structure for families of long-stay ICU patients. Chest, 138, 1340-48.
Wiencek, C. & Winkelman, C. (2010). Chronic critical illness: Prevalence, profile, and pathophysiology. AACN Advanced Critical Care, 21, 44-61.
Madigan, E., Wiencek, C., & VanderSchrier, A. (2009). Patterns of community-based end-of-life care in rural areas of the United States. Policy, Politics and Nursing Practice, 10:71-81.
Roberts, W., Alspach, J., Canobbio, M., Christoph, S., Kuhn, R., Turzan, L., & Wiencek, C. (1986). Critical care nursing education: an overview. Heart and Lung, 15, 115-126.
Wiencek, C., (2016). Palliative care in the intensive care unit setting. In : Dahlin C, Coyne P, & Ferrell, B.(Eds.), Advanced Practice Palliative Nursing (pp. 65-73). New York: Oxford University Press
Wiencek, C. (2015). The advanced practice registered nurse. In In B. R. Ferrell, N. Coyle, & J. Paice (Eds.), Oxford textbook of palliative nursing (4th ed.) (pp. 961-968). Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.
Wiencek, C., & Fontaine, D. (2016, May 2). Defying a death-defying culture [Column]. Huffington Post. Retrieved from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/clareen-wiencek/defying-a-deathdefying-cu_b_9799596.html.
- 1-30-16 - Palliative pharmacotherapy for every APRN, NP Pharmfest 2016 (Charlottesville, VA)
- 11-20-15 - WOW session: Association activities of great impact, Nursing Organizations Alliance 2015 fall summit (Palm Springs, CA)
- 11-10-15 - Leadership: Building resilience in self and others, 2015 Critical Care Symposium, Greater Portland Chapter, AACN (Portland, OR)
- 11-10-15 - Critical care & palliative care: The history & the evidence, 2015 Critical Care Symposium, Greater Portland Chapter, AACN (Portland, OR)
- 10-31-15 - Helping patients live better with their disease, 18th Eastern Regional Conference, Philippine Nurses' Association of America (Richmond, VA)
- 9-27-15 - Focus the Flame, Dynamics 2015 Canadian Association of Critical Care Nurses (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada)
- 9-14-15 - Courageous care, University of Rochester Medical Center, Critical Care Conference (Rochester, NY)