Ha Do Byon (first name: Ha Do) studies workplace violence in the healthcare settings, especially Type II (customer-on-worker) violence in home health care. He has practiced in both community health and acute care settings and has research expertise in occupational health and public/community health.
Dr. Byon was a home-visiting community health nurse for low-income, elderly residents with the Brooklyn-based Metropolitan Jewish Health System and with the Harlem-based Union Settlement Homecare in New York City. He reflects on his experiences walking across Harlem in New York City, knocking on the doors of the public housing apartments, treating the frail, elderly and disabled as a visiting home health nurse. He met many wonderfully dedicated, compassionate caregivers who were personal care workers and home health aides, caring for loved ones. Seeing the challenges they faced - their harrowing work environments, unsafe neighborhoods, exposure to abuse and violence from their patients and loved ones, and their almost chronic lack of resources -has inspired his scholarship that aims to improve the safety and health of care providers in the community.
He earned his PhD from the University of Maryland School of Nursing. Dr. Byon employs both quantitative and qualitative research methods in his research. He has expertise in analyzing large data and applying advanced statistical methods.
Research FocusWorkplace violence prevention and reporting in the health care settings, occupational health and safety of vulnerable worker groups, and home health nursing.
- Identifying documentation of workplace violence towards home healthcare nurses in clinical notes: a text mining study. Principal Investigator, Eugenie and Joseph Doyle Research Partnership Fund (9/1/2020 - 8/31/2021)
- Federation of Virginia Food Banks Healthy Food Pantry Evaluation. Co-investigator, Federation of Virginia Food Banks (10/01/2019 - 4/30/2022)
- Understanding infectious disease among home healthcare patients with drug abuse history. Principal Investigator, University of Virginia (Oct. 2018 - Dec. 2019)
- Examining poor sleep quality, fatigue, and work longevity in older adult US workers: A 5-year longitudinal study from a nationally representative sample. Co-investigator, American Nurses Foundation (9/1/2018 - 8/31/2019)
- Understanding Type II workplace violence underreporting among home healthcare nurses. Principal Investigator, Oscar and Ruth Lanford Research Award (7/1/2018 - 6/30/2019)
- Traumatic occupational injuries in the United States: A study from a national sample. Principal Investigator, Jeanette Lancaster Endowment Fund (7/1/2017 – 6/30/2018)
- Exploring an association between patient violence toward direct care workers in the home setting and their family-like relationship: a latent class analysis. Principal Investigator. Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing, PI Chapter (8/1/2015 – 7/31/2016)
Clinical FocusHome health nursing, community health nursing, public health nursing, occupational health nursing
Teaching FocusApplied statistics for clinical practice, research methods, quality & safety in healthcare systems, community/public health nursing.
- Editorial Review Panel, Workplace Health & Safety (2021-present)
- Editorial Board member, Asian/Pacific Island Nursing Journal (2020-present)
- Member, Global Korean Nursing Foundation (2020 - present)
- Member, Korean-American Scientists And Engineers Association (2020 - present)
- Member, Asian American/Pacific Islander Nurses Association (2016-present)
- Member, Work, Family & Wellbeing Research Work Group, University of Maryland, Baltimore (2015-present)
- Member, Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing (2015-present)
- Member, Southern Nursing Research Society (2015-present)
Lee., M., Ryoo, J., Crowder, J., Byon, H., & Williams, I. (2020). A systematic review and meta-analysis on effective interventions for health-related quality of life among caregivers of people with dementia. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 76(2), 475-489. doi:10.1111/jan.14262
Byon, H, Liu, X., Crandall, M., & Lipscomb, J. (2020). Understanding reporting of type II workplace violence among home health care nurses. Workplace Health & Safety, 68(9), 415-421. doi:10.1177/2165079920910758
Byon, H., Lee, M., Choi, M., Sagherian, K., Crandall, M., & Lipscomb, J. (2020). Prevalence of type II workplace violence among home healthcare workers: A meta‐analysis. American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 63(5), 442-455. doi:10.1002/ajim.23095
Newhouse, R., Byon, H. D., Storkman Wolf, E., & Johantgen, M. (2018). Multisite studies demonstrate positive relationship between practice environments and smoking cessation counseling evidence‐based practices. Worldviews on Evidence‐Based Nursing, 2018, 1-8. doi:10.1111/wvn.12277
Logan, J. G., Kim, S. S., Lee, M., Byon, H. D., & Yeo, S. (2018). Effects of static stretching exercise on lumbar flexibility and central arterial stiffness. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 33(4), 322-328. doi:10.1097/JCN.0000000000000460
Costa, L. L., & Byon, H. (2018). Post-hospital medication discrepancies at home: Risk ractor for 90-day return to emergency department. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 33(2), 180-186. doi:10.1097/NCQ.0000000000000278
Byon, H., Storr, C. L., & Lipscomb, J. (2017). Latent classes of caregiver relationships with patients: Workplace violence implications. Geriatric Nursing, 38(4), 291-295. doi:10.1016/j.gerinurse.2016.11.009
Lee, M. C., Byon, H. D., Hinderer, K., & Alexander, C. (2017). Beliefs in advance care planning among Chinese Americans: Similarities and differences between the younger and older generations. Asian/Pacific Island Nursing Journal, 3(2), 83-90. doi:10.9741/23736658.1055
Byon, H., Zhu, S., Unick, G., Storr, C., & Lipscomb, J. (2017). Language barrier as a risk factor for injuries from patient violence among direct care workers in home settings: Findings from a US national sample. Violence and Victims, 32(5), 858-868. doi:10.1891/0886-6708.VV-D-16-00021
Byon, H. D., Harrington, D., Storr, C. L., & Lipscomb, J. (2017). Exploring the factor structure of the job demands-resources measure with patient violence on direct care workers in the home setting. Journal of Nursing Measurement, 25(2), 257-274. doi:10.1891/1061-37184.108.40.2067
Byon, H., Storr, C., Edwards, L., & Lipscomb, J. (2016). Client history and violence on direct care workers in the home care setting. American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 59(12), 1130-1135. doi:10.1002/ajim.22652
Park, C.S., Byon, H., Keeling, J.W., Beitsch, L.M., & Merrill, J.A. (2013). Preliminary findings from an interventional study using network analysis to support management in local health departments in Florida. Frontiers in Public Health Services and Systems Research, 2(6), 1-6. doi:10.13023/FPHSSR.0206.06
Advance Online Publications
Sagherian, K., Rose, K., Zhu, S., & Byon, H. (2020). Productive activities but not paid work relate to well-being in older adults. Research in Gerontological Nursing. Advance online publication. doi:10.3928/19404921-20201124-02
Sagherian, K., Byon, H., Zhu, S., & Rose, K. (2020). Insomnia symptoms, fatigue, and future job exit in American older adults. American Journal of Industrial Medicine. Advance online publication.
Beaird, G., Baernholdt, M., Byon, H. D., & White, K. R. (2020). Interprofessional rounding design features and associations with collaboration and team effectiveness. Journal of Interprofessional Care. Advance online publication.
Crowder, J., Burnett, C., Byon, H. D., Laughon, K., Acierno, R., Yan, G., ... & Teaster, P. B. (2020). Exploration and comparison of contextual characteristics and mistreatment prevalence among older American Indian and Alaska Native Respondents: secondary analysis of the National Elder Mistreatment Study. Journal of Interpersonal Violence. Advance online publication. doi:10.1177/0886260520922356