Dr. Campbell's research and clinical interests are focused on hospice and palliative care decision-making and outcomes. Her program of research is focusing on end-of-life decision-making, exploring rural and ethnic/racial perspectives on patient/caregiver satisfaction with hospice services, and educating nurses in rural communities about pain management.
Honors and Awards
- Anne Pollok Hemmings Fellow 2009-2010, University of Virginia School of Nursing Class of 1959 (2009)
- Member of the Healthy Appalachia Institute at University of Virginia's College at Wise, University of Virginia's College at Wise (2009)
- Excellence in Diversity Fellow, Teaching Resource Center at the University of Virginia (2005)
- Fellow of the Center for Global Health University of Virginia, The Center for Global Health University of Virginia (2013)
Research FocusHospice care, Palliative Care, Outcomes.
- Patient and family satisfaction with hospice care
- Academic Community Engagement Grant
- Appalachian Partnership in Pain Management
Clinical FocusHospice Care.
Teaching FocusAdult-Health in the undergraduate and Clinical Nurse Leader programs.
- Women's Center Advisory Council-Executive Committee, Women's Center at University of Virginia (2006-present)
- Chair of the DNP/MSN/Post-Master's Committee, School of Nursing (2009-2011)
- Standing Search Committee, School of Nursing (2009-2011)
- State Liaison for Virginia, Southern Nursing Research Society (2013-2014)
- Scientific Sub-committee Member, Hospice and Palliative Care Nurses Association (2012-2013)
- Chair of the PhD Program Committee, School of Nursing (2103-2014)
News and TV
- UVA Today (6-12-17) - This professor is on a quest to improve palliative care, world-wide
Krongyuth, P., Silpasuwan, P., Viwatwongkasem, C. & Campbell, C. (2018). Needs of patient with advanced stages of cancer in a Thai community: Mixed method approach. Journal of Health Research, 32(5), 342-351. doi:10.1108/jhr-08-2018-040
Kelly, M., Campbell, C., & Rovnyak, V. (2017). Pain management in home hospice patients: A retrospective descriptive study. Nursing & Health Sciences, 19(3), 381-387. doi:10.1111/nhs.12359
Deode, A., Allen, T., Gray, J., Herbst, A., Hlungwani, M, Ramakuela, J, Xie, A., & Campbell, C. (2017). Community health workers and the management of non-communicable diseases among rural health clinics in Limpopo Province, South Africa: A pilot study. Family and Community Health, 40(4), 338-346. doi:10.1097/fch.0000000000000158
Campbell, C. Armour, K., Perry, R., Bailey, C., Orlando, R., Kinghorn, P., Jones, L., & Coast, J. (2016). A team approach to recruitment in hospice research: Engaging patients, close persons and health professionals. International Journal of Palliative Nursing, 22(7), 176-184. doi:10.12968/ijpn.2016.22.7.324
Campbell, C., & Baernholdt, M. (2016). A palliative care learning needs assessment and training in Mpumlalnga province South Africa. Journal of the Poor and Underserved, 27, 440-449.
Richards, D., Layne, K., Adams, A., Fantahun, S. & Campbell, C. (2015). Evaluation and expansion of an interprofessional community health worker training program in Limpopo, South Africa. Jefferson Public Citizens Journal, 2015(1), 1-8.
Baernholdt, M., Campbell, C., Hinton, I., Yan, G, & Lewis, E. (2015). Quality of hospice care: A comparison between rural and urban residents. Journal of Health Care Quality, 30(3), 247-253. doi:10.1097/ncq.0000000000000108
Krongyuth, P., Campbell, C., & Silapawun, S. (2014). Palliative care in Thailand. International Journal of Palliative Nursing, 20(12), 600-607. doi:10.12968/ijpn.2014.20.12.600
Campbell, C., & Campbell, L. (2013). Advanced prostate cancer survivors: Implications for palliative care. Journal of Palliative Care & Medicine, 1(S3), 003. doi:10.4172/2165-7386.s3-003
Campbell, C., Boyer, D., Rovnyak, V., & Campbell, L. (2012). Pain management learning needs in rural Appalachia. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, 43(6), 267-276. doi:10.3928/00220124-20111215-01
Campbell, C.L., Baernholdt, M., Yan, G., Hinton, I.D., & Lewis, E. (2012). Racial ethnic perspectives on the quality in hospice care. American Journal of Hospice and Palliative Medicine, , Advance online publication. doi:10.1177/1049909112457455
Campbell, C., & Campbell, L. (2012). A systematic review of cognitive behavioral interventions in advanced cancer. Patient Education and Counseling, 89(1), 15-24. doi:10.1016/j.pec.2012.06.019
Campbell, C., Boyer, D., Campbell, L., & Rovnyak, V. (2011). Pain management topics of interest for nurses in rural Appalachia. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, 42(12), Retrieved from http://www.slackjournals.com/article.aspx?rid=90662.
Campbell, C., Williams, I.C., & Orr, T. (2010). Factors that impact end-of-life decision making in African Americans with advanced cancer. The Journal of Hospice and Palliative Nursing, 12(4), 214-224.