Beginning in summer 2023, the School of Nursing will offer guaranteed admission to its alumni who are interested in attending graduate school and earning an MSN, post-master's specialty certificate, and/or a Doctor of Nursing Practice degree.
The move comes as the School gears up for its fall 2023 admissions season with a roster of virtual info sessions for prospective students considering the personal, professional, and financial benefits a graduate nursing degree brings.
"Our alumni have proven that they're ready for both the challenges and opportunities that nursing graduate education offers," said Shelly Smith, interim associate dean of academic programs and an associate professor, one of several people who worked to champion the shift. "We're excited to offer this benefit and are eager to see the familiar faces it will bring back into our world-class learning environments."
Alumni who wish to tap this benefit must still meet minimum admission requirements in order to enroll under this agreement, including those specifically related to duration of clinical experience, licensure, and technology requirements. While alumni who apply to the MSN, post-master's, and DNP programs will still be required to submit a basic application by the application deadline, it will be a much quicker, easier, more basic process.
UVA School of Nursing alumni are guaranteed entry into the following graduate programs:
- Adult Gerontology-Acute Care Clinical Nurse Specialist MSN
- Adult Gerontology-Acute Care Nurse Practitioner MSN
- Clinical Nurse Leader for RNs MSN
- Family Nurse Practitioner MSN
- Neonatal Nurse Practitioner MSN
- Pediatric Nurse Practitioner - Acute Care MSN
- Pediatric Nurse Practitioner - Primary Care MSN
- Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner MSN
- All post-master's certificate MSN programs
- Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
Those wishing to learn more about the benefit for alumni may reach out to admissions assistant dean Austin Stajduhar for more details.