The School of Nursing welcomes non-matriculated students to take two courses as a non-degree seeking student. We often refer to these students as visiting students. Individuals who have already earned a BSN or MSN may enroll as a visiting student in a limited number of pre-approved courses. Enrollment is offered on a space-available basis after current students have had ample time to register for courses. Non-nursing students must receive instructor permission prior to receiving permission to enroll.
School of Nursing Visiting Student Credit Policies
Master’s students may take a maximum of two courses as a visiting student that will count toward a degree at the University of Virginia School of Nursing. These credits are in addition to any transfer credits (up to 12 credits) that are approved by the School of Nursing. See below for instructions on how to apply as a visiting student.
Doctoral students who are interested in taking a course as a visiting student should email the School of Nursing Office of Admission and Student Services (OASS) at firstname.lastname@example.org. All doctoral requests will be vetted by the program directors.
Undergraduate Courses Available to Visiting Students
There are occasional opportunities to enroll as a visiting student in undergraduate (2000-4000-level) courses. For fall and spring enrollment, you must register with the School for Continuing and Professional Studies (please follow their instructions for required permissions). For summer courses, you must contact the School of Nursing Office of Admission and Student Services (OASS) at email@example.com.
Graduate Courses Available to Visiting Students
Not all courses are offered every semester and modality (in-person vs. online) varies depending on the offering. Pharmacology, Advanced Health Assessment, and clinical courses are not available to visiting students. The following required nursing courses are available (based on capacity) to visiting students:
|Course Number||Course Title|
|GNUR 5009||Foundations of Medical Yoga|
|GNUR 5022||Science of Lactation and Infant Feeding|
|GNUR 6050||Theoretical Foundations of Nursing|
|GNUR 6052||Epidemiology and World Health *|
|GNUR 6054||Research and Biostatistics|
|GNUR 6056||Health Policy|
* PLEASE NOTE THAT GNUR 6050: Epidemiology and World Health is no longer a required core course for master’s programs. It remains, however, a required core course for the post-master’s DNP.
Instructions to Apply as a Non-Degree Seeking/Visiting Student
Interested visiting students should follow these steps:
- Select course(s) of interest from the list above and verify they are offered during the term in which you’d like to enroll.
- Contact the School of Nursing Office of Admission and Student Services (OASS) via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are looking to take a 2000-4000-level course, you must contact the School for Continuing and Professional Studies. In your email to the School of Nursing, please include scanned copies of transcripts of any undergraduate and graduate degrees.
- You will receive further instructions and forms to complete once you’ve submitted your unofficial transcripts.
Interested visiting students taking graduate-level courses (5000-level and above) should adhere to the following deadlines for completing all requisite forms:
- Fall semester courses: August 1
- Spring semester courses: December 1
- Summer Session courses: April 15
Please pay careful attention to the following important reminders:
- Visiting students who ultimately enroll in a UVA School of Nursing master’s program may count two visiting student courses toward the degree.
- Taking courses as a visiting student will not allow you to graduate faster; however, it will lessen the course load at various stages of the established plan of study.
- Lessening the course load can have implications that affect federal financial aid. If you are required to be a full-time student to receive certain federal aid, you will be responsible for the cost associated with enrolling in elective credits in or out of the School of Nursing.
- Current School of Nursing students receive priority for enrollment. The School of Nursing Registrar will assess space availability approximately three weeks prior to the start of the semester and you will be notified of enrollment if space is available.
- Visiting students are charged the per-credit tuition rate based on Virginia or out-of-state residency as determined by University policy. Students will also be assessed the full comprehensive fee. UVA and UVA Health System employees can have the comprehensive fees waived (please ask your Human Resources for details and required process).