Preceptors for Post-licensure Students
Thank you for joining us at the UVA School of Nursing as an essential member of the educational team preparing the next generation of advanced practice nurses for the Commonwealth of Virginia and beyond. Your expertise, time, and coaching make a difference to these students. Working with you, students get to see expert clinicians translate knowledge, skills, and theory into clinical practice with patients and families.
Benefits of being a UVA School of Nursing preceptor with advanced practice students:
- Satisfaction of mentoring future colleagues and sharing your expertise
- Access to online UVA Health Sciences Library resources and publications upon request
- Stipends when funds allow
- A letter of thanks and a report indicating your precepted hours for your files and/or license and certification renewal
- Access to continuing education programs
- Eligible for the annual UVA SON Outstanding Nursing Student Preceptor Award
- Opportunity for an honorary faculty appointment with the UVA School of Nursing
- A chance to contribute to the profession and be a role model
Preceptors for Advanced Practice Students:
- Please review the resource guide for UVA advanced practice preceptors
- Submit a copy of your resume or update your preceptor profile annually here
New to precepting? Check out these resources from NONPF:
- NONPF's preceptor portal
Please note: preceptor resumes/CVs are kept on file to comply with program accreditation requirements. This information will not be shared with anyone other than our accrediting bodies.
Interested in becoming a preceptor? Please complete the Preceptor Interest Form to let us know of your interest.
Requirements include a minimum of one year of experience as an RN and current state licensure. For preceptors with APRN students, the requirements include a minimum of one year experience, current state licensure, and national certification.
An annual award to recognize outstanding nursing student preceptors.
Through the Outstanding Nursing Student Preceptor Award, the UVA School of Nursing recognizes preceptors for their exceptional service and contributions to the education of UVA nursing students. Students are invited to submit nominations for the award annually, and the nominations are reviewed by a committee of SON faculty members.
Previous award recipients include:
- 2018: Amy Gilchrist, Megan Mundy, Dawn Bourne
- 2017: Angela Crawford-Crummett, Laima Lengel, Patricia Cobb
- 2016: Laura Cromwell, Mary Messer
- 2015: Elizabeth Guastella, Lindsay Middlemas
Recipients of the Lifetime Outstanding Nursing Student Preceptor Award:
- Patricia Cobb
- Grace Muro
- Katherine Willard
- Adult-Gerontology Acute Care NP: Jill Howie Esquivel, RN, PhD, NP, and Beth Hundt, PhD, APRN, NP-C, ACNS-BC
- Adult-Gerontology Acute Care CNS: Beth Quatrara, DNP, RN, CMSRN, ACNS-BC
- Family NP: Linda Eastham, PhD, RN, FNP-BC, and Christian Simmers, MSN, APRN, FNP-BC
- Neonatal NP: Barbara Reyna, PhD, RN, NNP-BC
- Pediatric Acute Care NP: Tracy Kelly, DNP, MSN, CPNP-PC/AC
- Pediatric NP-Primary Care: Amy Boitnott, DNP, APRN, FNP-BC, CPNP-PC
- Psychiatric-Mental Health NP: Julie Roebuck, DNP, RN, PMHNP-BC
- Administrative Assistant: Jackie Oswalt
- Advanced Practice Program Director: Clareen Wiencek, RN, PhD, CNP, ACHPN