A veteran critical care nurse manager specializing in pulmonary and medical intensive care, Assistant Professor Sharon Bragg is a celebrated leader, clinical instructor, preceptor-mentor, and teaches graduate courses in leadership, complex care, and capstone development.
Bragg has been assistant nurse manager in UVA Health’s MICU and Special Pathogens Unit since 2012, responsible for unit operations and outcomes in a 34-bed Covid ICU in charge of infection control, financial management, and safety standards, workflow, staffing, and supervision of more than 150 team members. Prior to her unit leadership she worked as a clinician III and IV in the MICU, and began her career DeCamp Burn Center in 1992.
Bragg regularly presents on leadership, healthy work environments, and Covid nursing, and has earned a host of clinical and mentoring awards, including being selected as Preceptor of the Year for CNLs in 2009, as a Hemmings Fellow in 2009, and as PVCC’s Distinguished Alumna in 2005. Bragg earned both a DNP and MSN in Health System Management from UVA, a BSN from Eastern Mennonite University, and an associate’s degree in nursing from PVCC.
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
- Critical Care Knowledge Professional Certification (CCRN-K)
Honors and Awards
- 2009 - Hemmings Fellow, Excellence in Clinical Teaching Award, UVA School of Nursing
- 2009 - Preceptor of the Year, Clinical Nurse Leader Program, UVA School of Nursing
- 2006 - Circle of Excellence Award, Baxter Excellence in Patient Safety Award, American Association of Critical Care Nurses
- 2005 - Distinguished Alumni Award, Piedmont Virginia Community College
- 2004 - Circle of Excellence Award, American Association of Critical Care Nurses - Marsh Affinity Group Community Service Award
- 2003 - Circle of Excellence Award, American Association of Critical Care Nurses - Marsh Affinity Group Community Service Award
Clinical FocusPulmonary and medical adult critical care; end of life care.
Teaching FocusCollaborative practice, leadership, communication, and the exceptional development of bedside nurses.
- American Association of Critical Care Nurse, member
- American Nurses Association/Virginia Nurses Association, member
- Sigma Theta Tau, Beta Kappa Chapter, member
- Pulmonary Hypertension Association, member
- March 2022 - UVa Schwartz Center Rounds panelist - "Feeling alone: COVID and visitation"
- January 2022 - UVA School of Nursing invited virtual presenter - "Nursing during a pandemic: You have to PIVOT"
- May 2021 - American Nephrology Nurses Association virtual podium presenter - "Building a nurse residency/internship program"
- September 2018 - American Nephrology Nurses Association pre-conference podium presenter - "Emotional intelligence and transformational leadership; what nurse managers need to know"
- 2017 - Vizient/AACN NRP Annual Conference presenter - "Think About it! Socrates in the NRP!" with Linda Peffley-Firer and Susan Galloway
- 2013 - American Association of Critical-Care Nurses (AACN) poster presentation - "A new moon rising: Creation of a phased orientation process"
- 2013 - American Association of Critical-Care Nurses (AACN) poster presentation - "Utilizing a colormetric CO2 detector to identify inadvertent airway cannulation during the placement of gastric tubes"
- 2013 - American Society of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition poster presentation - "Keeping patients safe: Assuring that feeding tubes stay out of the lung"