Dr. Malinda L. Whitlow, DNP, FNP-BC is a triple `Hoo (having earned a DNP, MSN and BSN at UVA, and a current member of the Raven Society and of the Beta Kappa chapter of Sigma nursing honor society.
Malinda comes to us from George Washington University in Washington, DC, where she had been an assistant professor for 6-1/2 years, and where she directed the nursing school’s Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing (ABSN) program for the last four years.
At George Washington University, Malinda’s teaching and mentoring roles were expansive: she taught both medical-surgical and community health courses, labs and clinicals, as well as pharmacology and health assessment classes. She oversaw undergraduates’ clinical care at inpatient, long-term care and community sites, mentored students completing capstone projects, and led clinical trips to global sites in both Haiti and Ecuador.
In her academic career, Malinda has been an administrative leader, too. As ABSN program director and interim assistant dean of the nursing school’s undergraduate division, she developed programs and led revisions of curricula, participated in budget planning, program assessment, and launched and oversaw new student tutoring and mentorship programs. As a faculty member, Malinda was repeatedly tapped to serve on a variety of university and nursing committees, including ones related to interprofessional education, research, healthy work environments, diversity and faculty workload.
Currently a family nurse practitioner at UVA Health’s Employee Health Same Day Clinic, Malinda – a native of Texas – earned George Washington Nursing’s Excellence in Undergraduate Mentoring and Advising award in 2017, its Excellence in Student Life Award in 2015, and was a Sigma Nursing Faculty Leadership Academy Scholar from 2016-17.
She is an alumna of the Sigma Faculty Nurse Leadership Academy (2016-2017), a Virginia Nurses Association “40 Under 40” awardee (2015), a University of Virginia Health System Magnet Champion (2004-2011), and winner of University of Virginia's Preceptor of the Year (2005).
El-Banna, M.M., Whitlow, M. L., & McNelis, M, A. (2019). Improving Pharmacology Standardized Test and Final Exam Scores through Team Based Learning. Nurse Educator, 45(I), 1-4.
McKinnon, T. H., McNelis, A. M., DeLeon, K., Whitlow, M. L., & Fitzpatrick, J. J. (2019). Current State of International Clinical Experiences in the United States Prelicensure Nursing Programs. Nursing Education Perspectives, 40(V), 291-294. doi:10.1097/01.NEP.0000000000000563
McKinnon, T. H., McNelis, A. M., DeLeon, K., Whitlow, M. L., & Fitzpatrick, J. J. (2019). International clinical experiences for required clinical hours: National survey of registered pre-licensure programs. Journal of Nursing Regulation, 10(I), 53-56. doi:10.1016/s2155-8256(19)30083-3
El-Banna, M. M., Tebbenhoff, B., Whitlow, M. L., & Wyche, F. K. (2017). Motivated Strategies for Learning in Accelerated Second-Degree Nursing Students. Nurse Educator, 42(6), 308-312. doi:10.1097/NNE.0000000000000391
El-Banna, M.M., Whitlow, M. L., & McNelis, M, A. (2017). Flipping around the classroom: Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing students’ satisfaction and achievement. Nurse Education Today, 56(September 2017), p41-46.
- 2019 Sigma Theta Tau International 45th Biennial Convention Podium Presenter:Connecting Pharmacology Concepts through Team Based Collaborative Learning. Washington, DC. November 16-20, 2019
- 2019 George Washington University Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Podium Presenter: Team-Based Learning: A Strategy to Foster Active Learning & Improve Exam Scores. September 27, 2019
- 2019 National League for Nursing Poster Presenter: Active Engagement in the Classroom: Using Team-Based Learning (TBL) to Improve Student Learning in Pharmacology. September 26 - 28, 2019
- 2019 George Washington University School of Nursing Research Colloquium Podium Presenter: Active Learning within Pharmacology: Using Team Based Learning to Improve Student Knowledge as Measured by Final Exam and Standardized Test Scores. January 15, 2019
- 2018 George Washington University Diversity Summit Panel Discussion Presenter:Confronting Patient Bias. November 1, 2018
- 2018 George Washington University Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Poster Presenter: Improving Pharmacology National and Final Exam Scores through Team- Based Learning. September 27, 2018
- 2018 George Washington University Diversity Summit Panel Discussion Presenter: The Journey to Build a Culture of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion: Aligning the Strategic Plan with the GW School of Nursing Mission. April 3, 2018
- 2017 Sigma Theta Tau Biennial 44th Convention Poster Presenter: Building a Leadership Backbone: A Scholar's Nurse Faculty Leadership Journey. Indianapolis, IN. October 2017
- 2016 AACN Baccalaureate Education Conference Podium Presenter: Meeting the Triple Aim: Interprofessional Education Implementation within an Accelerated Bachelor of Science (ABSN) in Nursing Program. Anaheim, CA. November 18, 2016
- 2016 American Academy of Family Physician Global Health Conference Podium Presenter: Team Building and Strategic Partnership: Multicultural, Inter-professional Medical Mission to Haiti. Atlanta, GA. September 10, 2016
- 2015 Sigma Theta Tau 43rd Biennial Convention Podium Presenter: Motivated Strategies for Learning in Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing Students. Las Vegas, NV. November 2015.