Emily Drake, PhD, RN, CNL, FAAN, is a professor at the University of Virginia School of Nursing. She teaches courses in maternal-child health and has held a clinical position in Labor & Delivery for many years. Her specialties include high-risk pregnancy, infant development, breastfeeding, and technology.
She is the author of several book chapters and publications in journals such as JOGNN, Journal of Perinatal Education, Journal of Nursing Scholarship, and Neonatal Network. She has presented at numerous conferences, workshops and special events. She is a Past-President of the Association of Women's Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses (AWHONN) and has previously served on their national board of directors. She is an active member of the nursing honor society Sigma Theta Tau International (STTI) and the International Lactation Consultants Association (ILCA). She has held certifications in lactation consulting, in-patient obstetrics, and neonatal resuscitation.
Emily holds a MSN and BSN from the University of Virginia and received her PhD from Virginia Commonwealth University. Her dissertation topic was, “Method of Infant Feeding as a Predictor of Maternal Responsiveness.” Her current research is in the area of Postpartum Depression, mHealth, Safe Sleep and Breastfeeding support.
She is also Mom to 2 great children, Amelie and Richard. In her spare time, she enjoys skydiving, skiing down really big mountains, and taking power naps whenever she can!
- Clinical Nurse Leader (CNL)
Honors and Awards
- Distinguished Profesor Award, UVA School of Nursing (2018)
- Fellow of the American Academy of Nursing (FAAN) (2014)
- Excellence in Education, AWHONN (2013)
- Volunteer Hall of Fame, March of Dimes (2010)
- Susan Hickman Research Award, Postpartum Support International (PSI) (2009)
- Verhonick Award for Clinical Research, Sigma Theta Tau International, Beta Kappa Chapter (2005)
- Excellence in Teaching Award, UVA School of Nursing Alumni Association (2000)
- Innovative Teaching Award, University of Virginia, School of Nursing (1997, 1999)
- Best Clinical Research Poster Award, AWHONN Association of Women's Health, Obstetric & Neonatal Nurses Section Meeting (1994)
Research FocusReducing maternal & infant mortality. Postpartum depression, breastfeeding, maternal responsiveness, infant development, technology.
Clinical FocusHigh risk pregnancy, labor and delivery, newborn.
Teaching FocusMaternal child health.
- Board of Directors, AWHONN, Association of Women's Health, Obstetric & Neontal Nurses (2011-2012; 2015-2018)
- Infant Mortality Work Group, Virginia State Health Commissioner (2008-2009)
- Vice President, Alumni Council, UVA SON Alumni Association (2006-2009)
- Program Services/Grant Review , March of Dimes, Virginia (2007-2009)
- Virginia Section Chair, AWHONN, Association of Women’s Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses (2006-2008)
- Chapter President, Sigma Theta Tau International, Beta Kappa Chapter, Nursing Honor Society (1998-2000)
- Board of Directors, Sigma Theta Tau International, Beta Kappa Chapter, Nursing Honor Society (1996-2004)
- Editorial Board, JOGNN: Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, and Neonatal Nursing (1999-2001)
Drake, E. (2020). Celebrating the year of the nurse and midwife: Time to tell your stories. Korean Journal of Women’s Health Nursing, 26(3), 202-204. doi:10.4069/kjwhn.2020.05.14
Colson, E. R., Schaeffer, P., Hauck, F. R., Provini, L., McClain, M., Corwin, M. J., Drake, E. E., Kellams, A. L., Geller, N. L., Tanabe, K., & Moon, R. Y. (2019). Facilitators and barriers to implementation of safe infant sleep recommendations in the hospital setting. JOGNN: Journal of Obstetric Gynecologic & Neonatal Nursing, 48(III), 332-340. doi:10.1016/j.jogn.2019.02.005
Moon, R., Corwin, M., Kerr, S., Heeren, T., Colson, E., Kellams, A., Geller, N., Drake, E., Tanabe, K., & Hauck, F. (2019). Mediators of improved adherence to infant safe sleep using a mobile health intervention. Pediatrics, 143(5), 2018-2799. doi:10.1542/peds.2018-2799
Burns, W., Rovnyak, V., Friedman, C., Drake, E., Hornsby, P., & Kellams, A. (2018). BAP: Testing of a breastfeeding history questionnaire to identify mothers at risk for postpartum formula supplementation. Clinical Lactation, 9(1), 30-38. doi:10.1891/2158-0722.214.171.124
Evans, E., Deutsch, N., Drake, E. & Bullock, L. (2017). Nurse-patient interaction as a treatment for antepartum depression: A mixed-methods analysis. Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association, 23(6), 347-359. doi:10.1177/10783390317705449
Kellams, A., Parker, M. G., Geller, N. L., Moon, R. Y., Colson, E. R., Drake, E., ... Hauck, F. R. (2017). Today’s baby quality improvement: Safe sleep teaching & role modeling in eight U.S. maternity units. Pediatrics, 140(5), 1-9. doi:10.1542/peds.2017-1816
Drake, E., & Theo, L. (2017). Rooming-in: Creating a better experience. Journal of Perinatal Education, 26(2), 79-84. doi:10.1891/1058-1243.26.2.79
Drake, E., Cadwell, K., & Dodgson, J. (2017). Call for improved military policy to support breastfeeding among U.S. armed forces. Nursing Outlook, 65(3), 343-345. doi:10.1016/j.outlook.2017.04.007
Moon, R. Y., Hauck, F. R., Colson, E. R., Kellams, A. L., Geller, N. L., Heeren, T. ... Corwin, M. J. (2017). The effect of nursing quality improvement and mobile health interventions on infant sleep practices: A randomized clinical trial. Journal of the American Medical Association, 318(4), 351-359. doi:10.1001/jama.2017.8982
Park, E., Kulbok, P., Keim-Malpass, J., Drake, E., & Kennedy, M. J. (2017). Adolescent smoking prevention: Feasibility and effect of participatory video production. Journal of Pediatric Nursing, 36, 197-204. doi:10.1016/j.pedn.2017.07.001
McCartney, P. R., & Drake, E. (2016). Perinatal and neonatal health information technology. Journal of Perinatal & Neonatal Nursing, 30(3), 209-213. doi:10.1097/jpn.0000000000000184
Drake, E. (2016). Challenges and creative strategies in undergraduate nursing education in maternal-child health. Journal of Perinatal and Neonatal Nursing, 30(3), 179-83. doi:10.1097/jpn.0000000000000188
Kellams, A. L., Gurka, K. K., Hornsby, P. P., Drake, E., Riffon, M., Gellerson, D., . . . Coleman, V. (2015). The impact of a prenatal education video on rates of breastfeeding initiation and exclusivity during the newborn hospital stay in a low-income population. Journal of Human Lactation, 32(1), 152-159. doi:10.1177/0890334415599402
Martin, S. E., Drake, E., Yoder, L., & Gibson, M. (2015). Active duty women’s perceptions of breastfeeding support in the military setting. Military Medicine, 180(11), 1154-1160. doi:10.7205/MILMED-D-14-00498
Pitcock, N., Drake, E., Kulbok, P. A., Pineda, K., Gibson, M., & Yoder, L. (2015). Evaluation of an initiative to increase exclusive breastfeeding among rural Hispanic women. Clinical Lactation, 6(3), 98-108. doi:10.1891/2158-07126.96.36.199
Drake,E. (2015). Update on newborn screening. Nursing for Women’s Health, 19(3), 281-282. doi:10.1111/1751-486X.12212
Park, E., & Drake, E., (2014). Systematic review: Internet-based program for youth smoking prevention and cessation. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 47(1), 43-50.
Gurka, K. K., Hornsby, P. P., Drake, E., Mulvihill, E. M., Kinsey, E. N., Yitayew, M. S., ... Kellams, A. L. (2014). Exploring intended infant feeding decisions among low-income women. Breastfeeding Medicine, 9(8), 377-384. doi:10.1089/bfm.2014.0013
Whitlow, M. L., Drake, E., Tullmann, D., Hoke, G. & Barth, D. (2014). Bringing technology to the bedside: Using smartphones to improve interprofessional communication. Computers in Informatics, 32(7), 305-311. doi:10.1097/cin.0000000000000063
Drake, E., Howard, E., & Kinsey, E. (2014). Online screening and referral for postpartum depression: An exploratory study. Community Mental Health Journal, 50(3), 305-311. doi:10.1007/s10597-012-9573-3
Riley, K. & Drake, E. (2013). Effects of prenatal yoga and birth outcomes: A systematic review of the literature. Journal of Prenatal and Perinatal Psychology and Health, 28(1), 3-19.
de Lourdes de Souza, M., Laurenti, R., Knobel, R., Monticelli, M., Bruggemann, O.M., Drake, E. (2013). Maternal mortality due to hemorrhage in Brazil. Revista Latino-Americana de Enfermagan, 21(3), 711-718.
Corriveau, S. K., Drake, E. E., Kellams, A. L., Rovnyak, V. G. (2013). Evaluation of an office protocol to increase exclusivity of breastfeeding. Pediatrics, 131(5), 942-950.
Baernholdt, M., Drake, E., Maron, F., & Neymark, K. (2013). Fostering internationalization: An American–Danish semester-long undergraduate nursing student exchange program. International Nursing Review, 60(2), 221-227. doi:10.1111/inr.12005
Drake,Emily, Coolidge,Gayle (2010). Postpartum depression: Don't let patients suffer in silence. American Nurse Today, 5(12), 1-5.
Drake, E. & Gibson, M. (2010). Update on expanded newborn screening: Issues for consideration. Nursing for Women's Health, 14(3), 199-211.
Drake,Emily E.,Humenick,Sharron S.,Amankwaa,Linda,Younger,Janet,Roux,Gayle (2007). Predictors of Maternal Responsiveness.. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 39(2), 119-125. doi:10.1111/j.1547-5069.2007.00156.x
Drake,Emily E. (2002). The Power of Story. Journal of Perinatal Education, 11(2), ix-xi.
Drake,E. (1999). Internet technology: resources for perinatal nurses. JOGNN: Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, and Neonatal Nursing, 28(1), 15-21.
Drake,E. (1995). Discharge teaching needs of parents in the NICU. Neonatal Network: The Journal of Neonatal Nursing, 14(1Using Smart Source Parsing Feb; (20 ref)), 49-53.
Drake, E., & White, M. S. (2019). Postpartum adaptations and nursing care. In S. Murray, E. McKinney, K. Holub, & R. Jones (Eds.), Foundations of maternal-newborn and women’s health nursing (7th ed.) (pp. 458-478). St Louis: Elsevier.
Maxwell-Thompson, C., Craig, S., Riley, K. & Drake, E., (2015). Inspiring future faculty: Innovative clinical experiences to encourage faculty development in nursing students. In L. Caputi (Ed.), Innovations in nursing education: Building the future of nursing (pp. 117-121). New York: National League for Nursing.
- "Maternal Mortality: After the birth." National March for Moms, National Mall, Washington, D.C., 2018.
- "Mobile Health (mHealth) Interventions to Promote Safe Sleep." AWHONN National Meeting, Tampa, FL, 2018.
- "Be Brave” Opening Keynote." Association of Women's Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses (AWHONN) National Conference, New Orleans, LA, 2017.
- "Maternal Mortality & Postpartum Depression: Talk About It!" National March for Moms, Jefferson Memorial, Washington, D.C., 2017.
- "PTSD in the NICU." Global Neonatal Nurses Institute. Honolulu, HI. 2017.
- "Perinatal Mood and Anxiety Disorders: It Takes a Village." Meds, Madness & Motherhood: American Psychological Association, Alaska Chapter Meeting, Alyeska, AK, 2017.
- "How to Handle Change, Bullies, Burnout, and the Intergenerational Workplace." National Mother Baby Conference. New Orleans, LA, 2014.
- "It's not just Postpartum. It's not Just Depression." Keynote for Conference on Maternal Mental Health, Williamsburg, VA, 2016.
- "Be Brave: Dealing with Change." Oregon AWHONN conference, Portland, OR, 2016.
- "What is Nursing." Convocation Speaker. Shepherd University, School of Nursing, Shepherdstown, WV, 2016.
- "Endnote Speaker – Power Pose." Student Nurses Association of Virginia, Virginia Beach, VA, 2014.
- "Breastfeeding: A Curious History." AWHONN National Meeting: Sharing Science, Las Vegas, NV, 2010.
- "Online Screening for Postpartum Depression: A Pilot Study." Marce Society International Perinatal Mental Health Research Meeting, Pittsburg, PA, 2010.