Dr. Coyne is a certified pediatric nurse practitioner and assistant professor at the UVA School of Nursing. She maintains her practice with the UVA Health System in the department of Pediatric Nephrology. Additionally, she serves as project manager for an RO1 study on decision making in patients with advanced lung disease.
Honors and Awards
- STTI, Beta Kappa Chapter, Nan Hilt Award for Excellence in Clinical Practice (2017)
- Nursing Student Training Grant, National Institutes of Health (2009-2011)
- Excellence in Clinical Practice, University of Virginia Health System (2002)
Research FocusMedication adherence, transition from pediatric to adult medical care, kidney transplantation.
Clinical FocusStrong commitment to care of children with end stage renal disease and with kidney disease.
Teaching FocusStrong commitment to making research exciting and interesting to undergraduate students while providing them the skills needed for evidence based practice.
- Child Health Advocacy Program, Medical Legal Partnership
- Southern Nursing Research Society
- American Society of Pediatric Nephrology
- American Nephrology Nurses’ Association
- Sigma Theta Tau
- National Association of Pediatric Nurse Associates and Practitioners
Coyne, B., Hallowell, S., & Keim-Malpass, J. (2018). Methodological considerations for transition research using the National Survey of Children with Special Health Care Needs: A systematic review of the literature. Journal of Pediatric Health Care, 32(4), 363-373. doi:10.1016/j.pedhc.2017.12.007
Coyne, B. M., Kennedy, C., Self, A., & Bullock, L. (2018). A comprehensive approach to undergraduate nursing students' research experiences. Journal of Nursing Education, 57(1), 58-62. doi:10.3928/01484834-20180102-12
Connelly, L., Cramer, E., Demott, Q., Piperno, J., Swanberg, M., Coyne, B., & Winfield, C. (2017). The optimal time and method for surgical pre-warming: A comprehensive review of the literature. Journal of PeriAnesthesia Nursing, 32(3), 199-209. doi:10.1016/j.jopan.2015.11.010
Coyne, B., Hollen, P. J., Yan, G., Barcia, J., & Brayman, K. (2017). Post-transfer predictors of poor outcomes in pediatric renal transplant recipients. Nephrology Nursing Journal, 44(2), 119-129.
Coyne, B., Hallowell, S., & Thompson, M. T. (2017). Measurable outcomes after transfer from pediatric to adult providers in youth with chronic illness: A review of the literature. Journal of Adolescent Health, 60(1), 3-16. doi:10.1016/j.jadohealth.2016.07.006
Heath, J., Hollen, P.J., Bialous, S.A, Coyne, B. & Sarna, L. (2016). Few US schools of nursing on campuses with smoke-free policies: A call for action. Nursing Outlook, 64(3), 271-278. doi:10.1016/j.outlook.2015.12.008
Coyne, B., Hollen, P.J, Yan, G., & Brayman, K. (2016). Risk factors for graft loss in pediatric renal transplant recipients after transfer of care. Progress in Transplantation, 26(4), 356-364. doi:10.1177/1526924816667952
LoCasale-Crouch, J., & Johnson, B. (2005). Transition from pediatric to adult medical care. Adv Chronic Kidney Dis, 12(4), 412-7.
- Transition of Renal Transplant Recipients to Adult Providers: A Systematic Review of the Literature, [Poster]
24th Annual Conference of the Southern Nursing Research Society. Austin, Tx.
(February 3, 10)
- Steroid Free Immunosuppression Experience in Pediatric Kidney Transplant Recipients [Poster]
International Pediatric Transplant Association. Montreal, Canada.
(June 25, 11)
- Medication Adherence in Pediatric Renal Recipients: A Systematic Review of the Literature [Poster]
National Kidney Foundation 2012 Spring Meeting. Washington DC.
(May 24, 12)