Dr. Quatrara earned her BSN from the State University of New York at Binghamton, and both her MSN and DNP from the University of Virginia School of Nursing. She is board certified both as a medical surgical RN and as a Clinical Nurse Specialist, and she holds a certificate of training in Adult Malnutrition. She has a rich clinical background in acute and progressive care. She is a seasoned clinician with a practice portfolio that includes trauma, general surgery, surgical oncology and digestive health. As the UVA Medical Center’s Director of Nursing Research, Dr. Quatrara led numerous clinical research and evidence based practice projects to improve patient care outcomes. She is an active member of several professional organizations, including the Academy of Medical Surgical Nurses, where she served as a volunteer certification exam item-writer. She is also the Clinical Representative to the interprofessional Alliance to Advance Patient Nutrition. Dr. Quatrara is currently a Stop the Bleed program instructor and engage in emergency preparedness within the community. She is also actively involved in efforts to advance interprofessional Education and Practice through grant funded activities. Additionally, she is published in a variety of journals on a myriad of clinical topics, and has written chapters for a number of widely-used advanced practice nursing texts. She is a national-level speaker on topics of Digestive Health, Nutrition, Clinical Research and Inteprofessional Education.
- Adult Health Clinical Nurse Specialist (ACNS-BC)
- Medical-Surgical Nursing (RN-BC)
Honors and Awards
- AMSN President’s Award, Academy of Medical Surgical Nurses (2017)
- Suzi Burns Evidence Based Practice Award, University of Virginia Medical Center’s Professional Nursing Staff Organization (2014)
- Sigma Theta Tau Nancy Hilt Excellence in Clinical Practice Award, Beta Kappa Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau at the University of Virginia (2013)
- Margaret G. Tyson Innovative Teaching Award, University of Virginia School of Nursing, Alumni Association (2011)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice Capstone Award, University of Virginia School of Nursing (2011)
- Anne Pollock Hemmings Clinical Excellence Fellow, University of Virginia School of Nursing (2010)
Research FocusHer clinical research focuses on interprofessional teams and clinical practice as they relate to improvements in systems and patient outcomes.
- 2019 Josiah Macy Foundation President's Grant
- 2018 University of Virginia 3 Cavaliers Grant
- 2017 Beta Kappa Sigma Theta Tau’s Phyllis Verhonick Clinical Research Award
Clinical FocusDr. Quatrara’s clinical practice focuses on improving the care of patients across the continuum of care, and introducing hemorrhage control practices within the community setting.
Teaching FocusHer teaching focuses on creating a learning environment where adult learners are engaged as active partners in order to facilitate lifelong learning. She teaches in the MSN and DNP programs.
- UVA SON CNS Program Coordinator (2018-present)
- Co-Director for the Center for ASPIRE (UVA SON) (2017-present)
- UVA SON CNS Admissions Panel member (UVA 2014-present)
- Co-Chair of UVA SON DNP Committee (2018-2019)
- UVA SON Dean Search Committee (2018-2019)
- Chair of UVA SON DNP Council (2017-2018)
- PNSO Evidence Based Practice Committee executive team (UVA: 2016-2017)
- PNSO Executive Cabinet member (UVA: 2014-2017)
- National Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel: Consensus Statement on Unavoidable Pressure Ulcers ,Invited Advisory Panel Participant (2014)
- PNSO Magnet Steering Committee: New KnowledgeTeamLead (UVA:2012-2017)
- PNSO Cabinet member (UVA: 2010-2017)
- PNSO Clinical Practice Committee member (UVA: 2010-2012)
- UVAHS Pressure Ulcer Prevention Team (UVA: May 2009-2016)
- UVAHS LOS Reduction Team (UVA: April 2009-2010)
- UVA SON MSN/DNP Committee DNP Student Representative (UVA: 2008-2010)
- PNSO Nursing Council on Clinical and Academic Collaboration Co-Chair (UVA: 2008-2009)
- UHC Supply Utilization and Nursing Practice Representative (UVA: 2005-2008)
- UVA SON CNL Steering Committee Member (UVA: 2005-2007)
- UVA SON CNL Admissions Committee Member (UVA: 2005-2007)
- UVAHS Infection Control Committee Member (UVA: 2005-2008)
- PNSO Research Program Mentor (UVA: 2005-2006)
- PNSO Nominating Committee Chair (UVA: 2005)
- PNSO Executive Committee Member (UVA:2005)
- PNSO Cabinet Committee President (UVA:2005)
- PNSO Executive Committee President (UVA:2004)
- PNSO Cabinet President (UVA:2004)
- PNSO Magnet Steering Committee Member (UVA: 2004)
- PNSO Workload Efficacy Committee Co-Chair (UVA:2004)
- PNSO Nominating Committee Member (UVA: 2001)
Haller, T., Quatrara, B., Miller-Davis, C., Noguera, A., Pannone, A., Keim-Malpass, J., ..., & Letzkus, L. (2020). Exploring perceptions of shift length: A state-based survey of registered nurses. The Journal of Nursing Administration, 50(9), 449-455. doi:10.1097/nna.0000000000000915
Turrentine, F. E., Schroen, A. T., Hallowell, P. T., Quatrara, B. A., Smith, P. W., Williams, M. D., & Haizlip, J. A. (2020). Enhancing medical students' interprofessional teamwork through simulated room of errors experience. Journal of Surgical Research, 251, 137-145. doi:10.1016/j.jss.2020.02.001
Haizlip, J., McCluney, C., Hernandez, M., Quatrara, B., & Brashers, V. (2020). Mattering: How organizations, patients, and peers can affect nurse burnout and engagement. JONA: The Journal of Nursing Administration, 50(5), 267-273. doi:10.1097/NNA.0000000000000882
Letzkus, L., Trotter,B., Gauriloff, L., Quatrara, B. (2020). Red light at night: A feasibility study to improve sleep in hospitalized patients. MEDSURG Nursing, 29(1), 38-42.
Letzkus, L., Steck, S., Miller-Davis, E., Conaway, M., & Quatrara, B. (2020). Picking up the pace: Decreasing platelet administration safely and effectively. Journal of Pediatric Nursing, 52, 1-4. doi:10.1016/j.pedn.2020.01.014
Jesonowski, M., Quatrara, B., & Riordan, J. (2019). Does a provider in triage and rapid medical evaluation help with left without being seen rates and ED crowding? Journal of Emergency Nursing, 45(1), 38-45. doi:10.1016/j.jen.2018.09.001
Quatrara, B., Brashers, V., Baernholdt, Novicoff, M., Schlag, W., Haizlip, J., Plews-Ogen, M., & Kennedy, C. (2019). Enhancing interprofessional education through patient safety and quality improvement team-training: A pre-post evaluation. Nurse Education Today, 79, 105-110. doi:10.1016/j.nedt.2019.05.011
Deivert, M., Quatrara, B., Kane, C., Sohn, M., Childress, M., & Turrentine, F. (2019). An evaluation of risk factors for extubation failure in surgical patients in intensive care. Dimensions in Critical Care Nursing, 38(5), 256-263. doi:10.1097/dcc.0000000000000380
Longley, L., Simons, T., Glanzer, L., Du, C., Trinks, H., Letzkus, L., & Quatrara, B. (2018). Evaluating sleep in a surgical trauma burn intensive care unit: An elusive dilemma. Dimensions in Critical Care Nursing, 37(2), 97-101. doi:10.1097/DCC.0000000000000284
George, K. L., & Quatrara, B. (2018). Interprofessional simulations promote knowledge retention and enhanceperceptions of teamwork skills in a surgical-trauma burn intensive care unit setting. Dimensions in Critical Care Nursing, 37(3), 144-155. doi:10.1097/DCC.0000000000000301
Briscoe, G., Heerschap, A., Kane, C., & Quatrara, B. (2018). Using post-discharge telephone follow-up by nephrology nurses to reduce 30-day readmissions and post-discharge complications for adult patients onhemodialysis. Nephrology Nursing Journal, 45(3), 243-267.
Haller, T., Quatrara, B., Letzkus, L., & Keim-Malpass, J. (2018). Exploring nurses’ perceptions of shift length: What are the benefits? Nursing Management, 49(1), 38-43. doi:10.1097/01.NUMA.0000546202.40080.c1
Letzkus, L., Addison, N., Turner, L., & Quatrara, B. (2018). Paroxysmal sympathetic hyperactivity and environmental factors: A pilot study. Journal of Neuroscience Nursing, 50(2), 88-92. doi:10.1097/JNN.0000000000000349
Thomas, S., Quick, L., Blevins, C., Quatrara, B., & Letzkus, L. (2017). Incongruence in perceptions: Identifying barriers to patient satisfaction in the intensive care unit. Dimensions of Critical Care Nursing, 36(6), 349-354. doi:10.1097/DCC.0000000000000267
Farmer, L., Winfield, C., Quatrara, B., Letzkus, L., Schenck, P., Finneran, P., ... Conaway, M. (2017). Does site mater? Comparing accuracy and patient comfort of blood glucose samples taken from the finger and palm of the perioperative patient. PeriAnesthesia Nursing, 32(6), 573-577. doi:10.1016/j.pedn.2017.02.034
Quatrara, B. (2017). Malnutrition in the hospitalized patient: Helpful resources. MedSurg Matters, 26(3), 16.
Quatrara, B., Rea, K., Wilkins, K., & Facteau, L. (2017). Partnering to improve outcomes: The nurse executive and the clinical nurse specialist. Nurse Leader, 15(1), 61-64. doi:10.1016/j.mnl.2016.08.011
Gilbert, R. T., Farish, N., Bergland, E., Hance, J., Ketcham, S., Letzkus, L., ... Spry, A. (2017). Short-term accupressure to decrease 24-hour post-operative nausea and vomiting: Was this a case of too little, too late? Journal of Perianesthia Nursing, 32(5), 445-452. doi:10.1016/j.jopan.2015.08.014
Sauer, A., Alish, C., Strausbaugh, K., West, K., & Quatrara, B. (2016). Nurses needed: Identifying malnutrition in hospitalized older adults. Nursing Plus, 2, 21-25. doi:10.1016/j.npls.2016.05.001
Quatrara, B., Turner, M., Pitts, N., Parks, C., Murphy, F., & Conaway, M. (2016). What is the likelihood of blood return using aspiration technique with intramuscular vaccine administration? Annals of Nursing and Practice, 3(5), 1-3.
Smit, I., Harrison, L., Letzkus, L., & Quatrara, B., (2016). What factors are associated with the development of pressure ulcers in a medical intensive care unit? Dimensions in Critical Care Nursing, 35(1), 37-41. doi:10.1097/dcc.0000000000000153
Quatrara, B., (2015). What you told us. Med-Surg Matters, 24(2), 2-15.
Henley, N., Quatrara, B. D., Conaway, M. A. (2015). A pilot study: Comparison of arm versus ankle noninvasive blood pressure measurement at 2 different levels of backrest elevation.. Dimensions of Critical Care Nursing, 34(4), 232-235. doi:10.1097/dcc.0000000000000126
Addison, N., Quatrara, B., Letzkus, L., Strider, D., Rovnyak, V., Syptak, V., & Fuzy, L. (2014). Cleanliness of disposable versus non-disposable electrocardiography lead wires in children. American Journal of Critical Care, 23(5), 424-428. doi:10.4037/ajcc2014601
Quatrara, B. (2013). Malnutrition in Hospitalized Patient. MedSurg Matters, 22(2), .
Tappenden, K., Quatrara, B., Parkhurst, M., Malone, A., Fanjiang, G., & Zeigler, T. (2013). Critical role of nutrition in improving quality of care: An interdisciplinary call to action to address hospital malnutrition. MEDSURG Nursing: The Journal of Adult Health, 22(3), 147-165.
Winfield, C., Knicely, C. Jensen, C., Taylor, S., Thomas, K., Conaway, M., Burns, S., & Quatrara, B. (2013). What is the least painful method of anesthetizing a peripheral intravenous site? Journal of Perianestheia Nursing, 28(4), 217-222. doi:10.1016/j.jopan.2012.09.007
Mahanes, D., Quatrara, B. & Shaw, D. (2013). APN led nursing rounds: An emphasis on evidence-based nursing care. Intensive and Critical Care Nursing, 29, 256-260.
Phillips, W., Willcutts, K. & Quatrara, B. (2013). Malnutrition prevalence study utilizing NutritionDay in the U.S. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 113(9), A24. doi:10.1016/j.jand.2013.06.071
Barth, M., Quatrara, B., Burns, S. & Conaway, M. (2013). Blood conservation: What is current blood draw practice. Journal of Infusion Nursing, 36(5), 323-328. doi:10.1097/nan.0b013e3182a1163c
Conway, D., Quatrara, B. & Rodreguez, L. (2012). A better fit: Industry collaboration with nurse-clinicians in the development and redesign of a pneumatic compression device. Orthopaedic Nursing, 31(6), 348-354. doi:10.1097/NOR.0b013e318274261e
Elgin, K., Burns, S., Cozzi, K., Fowler, M., Perry, S., Davis, S., Conaway, M., & Quatrara, B. (2011). Maintaining patency with packed red blood cell infusions: Comparison of IV normal saline infusion vs normal saline syringe method. MedSurg Nursing: The Journal of Adult Health, 20(3), 134-138.
Ballew, C., Buffmire, M.V., Fisher, C., Schmidt, P., Quatrara, B., Conaway, M., & Burns, S.M. (2011). Factors associated with the level of back rest elevation in a thoracic cardiovascular intensive care unit. American Journal of Critical Care, 20, 395-399.
Quatrara, B. (2011). FDA-approved pancreatic enzyme replacement therapy. Practical Gastroenterology, 35(5), 19-20.
Quatrara, B. (2011). Acute pancreatitis & enteral feeding: What is the evidence? MedSurg Matters, 20(1), 8-10.
Parrish, C. R. & Quatrara, B. (2010). Reinfusion of Intestinal Secretions: A Viable Option for Select Patients. Practical Gastroenterology, , 26-40. April 2010.
Parrish, C. R. & Quatrara, B. (2010). The Art of Reinfusion of Instestinal Secretions. Supportive Oncology, 8(2), 92-96.
Payne, H., Hudson, M., Cobb, P., Porterfield, G., Jenkins, D., King, M., Arrington, V., Lane, K., Miller, R., Conaway, M., Quatrara, B., Burns, S.M. (2010). Easing the pain of pediatric venipuncture: A pilot study. HCPro's Advisor to the ANCC Magnet Recognition Program®, 6(8), .
Quatrara, B., (2014). Healthy to Undernourished: Post-Hospital Syndrome. Med-Surg Matters, Mar/Apr2014; 23(2): 3-3. AN: 103980877
Phillips, W., Quatrara, B., (2014). Feed the Patient: A Barrier Removed. MEDSURG Nursing, Nov/Dec2014 ; 14-14. ISSN: 1092-0811 AN: 107841325
Haizlip J. (2021). Mattering: Creating a rich work life. In D. Fontaine, T. Cunningham, & N. B. May. (Eds.), Self-care handbook for new and student nurses (pp. 412-431). Indiana: Sigma Theta Tau International.
Quatrara, B. (2018). Gastrointestinal system. In S. M. Burns & S. A. Delgado (Eds.), AACN essentials of critical care nursing (4th ed.) (pp. 371-402). New York: McGraw Hill Education.
Quatrara, B & Shaw, D. (2017). Selecting advance practice nursing outcome measure. In R. Kleinpell (Ed.), Outcome assessment in advance practice nursing (4th ed.) (pp. 45-58). New York: Springer Publishing.
Quatrara, B., & Shaw, D. (2017). The advanced practice nurse and research. In L. A. Joel (Ed.), Advanced practice nursing: Essentials for role development (4th ed.) (pp. 240-251). Philadelphia: F. A. Davis.
Burns, S. & Quatrara, B (2013). The advanced practice nurse and research. In L. Joel (Ed.), Advanced practice nursing: Essentials for role development (pp. , 3rd ed.). Philadelphia: FA Davis.
Burns, S. M. & Quatrara, B. (2013). Selecting advanced practice nursing outcome measures. In R. Kleinpell (Ed.), Outcome assessment in advanced practice nursing (pp. 73-92, 3rd ed.). New York: Springer Publishing
Columns, Editorials and Op-Eds
Quatrara, B. (2014, April). Healthy to undernourished: Post-hospital syndrome. Academy of Medical-Surgical Nurses. 23(2), 3. Retrieved from https://www.amsn.org.
Quatrara, B. (2014, March). Nurses' role in nutrition care of hospitalized patients. Advance Healthcare Network for Nurses. Retrieved from http://bit.ly/13XVbgm.
- Community Preparedness through Interprofessional Teamwork (Emswiller)
- Interprofessional Symposium: Podium February 2019)
- It Takes a Team: Interprofessional Practice Improves Outcomes (Sigma Theta Tau Region 13 Biennial Research Conference: Podium 2018)
- Enhancing the Interprofessional Workforce: Training Medical Residents & DNP Students (Emswiller Interprofessional Symposium: Podium; February 2018)
- Putting the Puzzle Together....Making Our Impact on Early and Effective Nutrition (AMSN Convention: Podium; October 2017)
- Achieving the Essentials: Integrating Interprofessional Education, Quality Improvement and Patient Safety into a DNP Curriculum (Virginia Association of Doctors of Nursing Practice: Poster. June 2017)
- Interprofessional Collaboration in a Healthcare and Academic Environment (4th Annual Symposium for Advocates for Women in Science and Medicine: Panel. March 2017)
- All-Cause Hospital Admissions Decreased after Fecal Microbiota Transplantation for Recurrent Clostridium difficile Infection (American College of Gastroenterology Annual Scientific Meeting: Poster. October 2016)
- Mastering the Next Level of Quality Patient Care by Addressing Malnutrition (AMSN Convention: Podium. September 2016)
- Research Mentorship: Engaging Nurses in Clinical Research (ANA Conference: Podium. March 2016)
- Abstracts: Writing for Acceptance (ANA Conference: Webinar. March 2016)
- Creating a Culture of Safety: The University of Virginia Curriculum for Interprofessional Education for Patient Safety and Quality Improvement (AACN Doctoral Education Conference: Poster presentation: January 2016)
- Nurse Nutrition Leaders: Introduction (AMSN Convention: Podium. September 2015)
- Better Nutrition through Interprofessional Education and Collaboration (NACNS Conference: Podium presentation March 2015).
- Integrating Nutritional Care to Optimize Patient Outcomes: Medical-Surgical Nurses at the Forefront (AMSN Convention: Town Hall podium: September 2014)
- Splish, Splash, Take a New Type of Bath: CNS team rapidly translates evidence into practice through the use of simulation, cost containment and integrated CNS student learning (NACNS Conference: Podium presentation: March 2014)
- Addressing Hospital Malnutrition through Interdisciplinary Partnership (Food and Nutrition Convention and Expo podium session; October 2013)