Yvonne Newberry has a long history (20+ years) in both the SON and the SOM. In the SON she works with graduate students in Health Assessment and FNP and PNP-PC students in regards to Women’s Health Care both in the classroom and in clinical. In the SOM, she works with the first, second, and third year medical students in the Cells to Society, Clinical Performance Development (CPD) course, and the OB/GYN Clerkship. She has an interest in and active commitment to Interprofessional Education (IPE) involving nurse practitioner and medical students. In addition to her teaching role, she has an active OB/GYN clinical practice in the Primary Care Clinics at the University of Virginia.
Honors and Awards
- Program for Educators in Health Professions, 102.25 AMA Category 1 Credits, Harvard Macy Institute (2012)
- APGO Excellence in Teaching Award, Association of Professors of Gynecology and Obstetrics (2005)
- Astra-UVA School of Nursing , Outstanding Preceptor of the Year Award (1998)
- Sigma Theta Tau, Beta Kappa Chapter (1982)
Research FocusHas been involved in research in the following areas: prevention of preterm labor and interprofessional education of NP and MD students.
Clinical FocusClinical focus is Women’s Healthcare. Within women’s healthcare her areas of expertise are general OB and GYN ambulatory care, care of HIV-infected women, and care of women with hematologic problems.
Teaching FocusAreas of expertise in regard to teaching include graduate health assessment, nurse practitioner and medical student education both didactic and clinical in regards to women’s health, Interprofessional education between nurse practitioner and medical students.
- Southern Group on Educational Affairs (SGEA) (2004-Present)
- Association of Professors of Gynecology and Obstetrics (2004-Present)
- American Academy of HIV Medicine (2003-Present)
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (1995-Present)
- National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties (1986-1991)
- American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (1987-2011)
- Member, University of Virginia Alumni Association (1978-Present)
Newberry, Y.G. (2007). Implanon, a new implantable contraceptive. Nursing for Women’s Health, 11(6), 0.
French, A.E., Gregg, V.H., Newberry, Y.G., & Parsons, T. (2005). Umbilical cord stricture: A cause of recurrent fetal death. Obstetrics and Gynecology, 105(2), Part 2: 1-5.
Kelsey, J., Newberry, Y.G., Pakyz, M., & Townsend, G. (2003). Human immunodeficiency virus infection: A focus on women. Journal of Pharmacy Practice, 16(3), 170-181.
Newberry, Y.G., & Kelsey, J. (2003). Mother to child transmission of HIV. Journal of Pharmacy Practice, 16(3), 182-90.
Williams, C.D., Finnerty, J.F., Newberry, Y.G., West, R.W., Thomas, T.S., & Pinkerton, J.V. (2003). Reproduction in couples who are affected by human immunodeficiency virus: Medical, ethical, and legal considerations. American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology, 189(2), 333-341.
Newberry, Y. (2008). Human immunodeficiency virus. In F.J. Bourgeois, M.J. Bray, and C.A.Matthews, (Eds.), Obstetrics and Gynecology Recall (pp. 299-316). Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins