Dr. Camille Burnett, academic director for community engagement and partnerships, is an assistant professor and scholar. With extensive professional experience in public health, public health management, on population health related boards at the international, national and local level and in public health research and consulting, Burnett's program of research examines policies related to violence against women and the impact that contextual and structural influences have in shaping policy as written and enacted.
Dr. Burnett is an appointed member of the AACN faculty policy think-tank, a fellow of the University of Virginia Center for Health Policy, and is on the Board of Directors for the Nursing Network on Violence Against Women, International, the advisory board of the Charlottesville Sexual Assault Resources Agency, and the National Health and Human Trafficking Advocacy Collaborative Group. She is also a representative on the National Health Collaborative on Violence and Abuse in Washington, DC.
Honors and Awards
- Deans Honour List, (1998)
- Certificate of Outstanding Achievement Red Deer College, (2000)
- Certificate of Registration College of Nurses of Ontario, (2001-2012)
- Sigma Theta Tau Honour Society of Nursing, (2005-2012)
- Ontario Tobacco Network Veterans Honour Role, (2006)
- Graduate Research Award, (2006-2011)
- Kathleen Howe Registered Nurses Foundation of Ontario Scholarship Award, (2009)
- Sigma Theta Tau Honour Society of Nurses Iota Omicron Chapter Research Award, (2010)
- Community Health Nurses Interest Group Research Award, (2010)
- Faculty of Health Sciences Western University Travel Award, (2010)
- Canadian Institute of Health Research Institute of Gender and Health Research Travel Award , (2010)
- Faculty of Health Sciences Western University Travel Award, (2012)
- Recognition of Teaching Excellence Award, (2006 -2012)
- USC Teaching Honour Roll Award of Excellence, (2007-2011)
- Lousie Rickwood PHD Scholarship in Nursing Award, (2013)
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing Faculty Policy Intensive , (2013)
- Recognition of Teaching Excellence Award, (2006 through 2012 )
- USC Teaching Honour Roll Award of Excellence, (2007 through 2011)
Research FocusHealth Policy, Violence Against Women, Intimate Partner Violence, Structures and Systems, Structural Justice, Structural Violence, Social Justice, Critical Theory and Evaluation.
Clinical FocusPublic and Population Health
Teaching FocusHealth Policy and Population and Public Health
- Member, Board of Directors Ontario Public Health Association (2005-2010)
- Member, Community Health Nurses Interest Group (2007-2012)
- Member, Board of Directors, Nurses Network on Violence Against Women International (NNVAWI) (2009-2012)
- London Homelessness Outreach Network (2010-2012)
- Preventing Violence Across the Lifespan Research Network: A WHO CIHR Centre for Research Development on Gender, Mental Health and Violence Across the Lifespan. (2011-2012)
- Faculty of Health Sciences Distinguished Lecturer Committee. (2011-2012)
- Arthur Labatt Family School of Nursing Envisioning 2020 Committee (2012-2013)
- Member: ACHNE, ANA, APHA, CANS, ONS and SNRS, Representative, National Health Collaborative on Violence and Abuse (2012-2013)
- Advisor , Board of Directors, Sexual Assault Resource Agency (2013-2015)
- Member, Health and Human Trafficking Advocacy Collaborative Group (2013-2015)
News and TV
- UVA Today (10-6-14) - Detecting domestic violence by computer: How well does it work?
Bacchus, L., Bullock, L., Sharps, P., Burnett, C., Schminkey, D., Buller, A.M., & Campbell, J. (2016). “Opening the Door”: A qualitative interpretive study of women’s experiences of being asked about intimate partner violence and receiving an intervention during perinatal home visits in rural and urban settings in the USA. Journal of Research in Nursing, 21(5-6), 345-364. doi:10.1177/1744987116649634
Bacchus, L., Bullock, L., Sharps, P., Burnett, C., Schminkey, D., Buller, A.M., & Campbell, J. (2016). Infusing technology into a perinatal home visitation intervention for women experiencing intimate partner violence in urban and rural settings in the USA. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 18(11), 302. doi:10.2196/jmir.6251
Burnett, C., Schminkey, D., Milburn, J., Kastello, J., Bullock, L., Campbell, J., & Sharps, P. (2016). Negotiating peril: The lived experience of rural, low-income women exposed to IPV during pregnancy and postpartum. Violence Against Women, 22(8), 943-965. doi:10.1177/1077801215614972
Burnett, C. & Bacchus, L. (2015). Women find safety planning more useful than referrals in a maternal and child health IPV intervention [Commentary on “Maternal and child health nurse screening and care for mothers experiencing domestic violence (MOVE): A cluster randomised trial” by A. J. Taft, L. Hooker, C. Humphreys, et al.].. Evidence-Based Nursing, (advance online publication), ebnurs-2015-102201. doi:10.1136/eb-2015-102201
Burnett, C., Ford-Gilboe, M., Berman, H., Ward-Griffin, C., & Wathen, N. (2015). A critical analysis of provincial policies impacting shelter service delivery to women exposed to violence. Policy, Politics, & Nursing Practice, 16(1-2), 5-16. doi:10.1177/1527154415583123
Burnett, C. & Laughon, K. (2015). Violence against women: An epidemic and a health issue. In E. E. Friberg & J. L. Creasia (Eds.), Conceptual foundations: The bridge to professional nursing practice (6th ed.) (pp. 321-333). St Louis, MO: Mosby Elsevier.
- Burnett, C., Swanberg, M., Hudson, A. (April 9-11, 2015). Conceptualizing Structural Justice: The Context of Shaping IVP Shelter Services and Supports.
Paper Presented at the at the International Conference of the Nursing Network on Violence Against Women International, sponsored by Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, United States.
- Burnett, C., Swanburg, M., Hudson, A. (July 2014). Conceptualizing Structural Justice To Address Structural Challenges Faced By Women Exposed To Intimate Partner Violence In Shelter.
Papers presented at the International United Nations Millennium Development Goals Conference, University of Venda, South Africa.
(July 1, 14)
- Burnett C (2014). Speaking Truth to Power. Sociopolitical Action as Nursings’ Legacy and Moral Imperative
Virginia Student Nurses Association Annual Conference, Virginia Beach
(January 1, 14)
- Burnett C., Milburn, J., Kastell, J., Bullock, L., Campbell, J., & Sharps, P. (June 2013). "That night I didn't fight back because I was more worried about the baby….": The Lived Experience of Rural, Low Income Women Exposed to IPV During Pregnancy and Postpartum.
Papers presented at the International Conference of the Nursing Network on Violence Against Women International, sponsored by the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada.
(June 1, 13)
- Burnett, C. (June 27, 2012). Examining the Effects of Policies on the Delivery of Shelter Services to Women who have Experienced Intimate Partner Violence.
Papers presented at the Final PhD Dissertation Defense, Western University, London, Ontario, Canada.
(June 27, 12)
- Burnett, C. (March 6, 2012). The Day to Day Reality of the Delivery of Shelter Services in the Context of System and Policy Demands.
Papers presented at the International Conference of the Nursing Network on Violence Against Women International, sponsored by the University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia.
(March 6, 12)
- Burnett, C. (October 13, 2011). Guest Lecturer: “Experience of completing Oral PhD Examination”
University of Western Ontario to Doctoral Students
(October 13, 11)
- Burnett, C. (February 2011). Examining the Effects of Policies on the Delivery of Shelter Services to Women who have Experienced Intimate Partner Violence.
Papers presented at the International Conference of the Nursing Network on Violence Against Women International, sponsored by the University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand.
(February 1, 11)