Dr. Camille Burnett (PhD, MPA, APHN-BC, RN, BSc.N, DSW) Academic Director, Community Engagement and Partnerships is an Assistant Professor and Scholar at the University of Virginia School of Nursing and the Vice-President for the Nursing Network on Violence Against Women International. She has extensive professional experience in public health including board appointments, management, research and consulting. Her portfolio centers on community engagement within a population and public health framework aimed at mitigating health disparities and inequity to improve health outcomes of the most vulnerable populations. Using a population and public health perspective Dr. Burnett’s scholarship considers not only the issue of structural violence but also the contextual and intersecting factors determining health that has informed her seminal work into the emerging domain of structural justice. Critical discourse analysis embedded within a critical feminist paradigm are at the root of her research. Dr. Burnett examines how structural influences shape policy, through intended and unintended consequences exposing hidden and often invisibly embedded bias, exclusion and marginalization. She collaborates across grounds and disciplines with various research centers, institutes and community partners.
Dr. Burnett is an appointed member of the AACN faculty policy think-tank, an affiliate of the University of Virginia Center for Health Policy, and is on the Board of Directors for the Nursing Network on Violence Against Women, International and Georgia’s Healing House, advisory board of the Charlottesville Sexual Assault Resources Agency, steering committee member of the Community Mental Health and Wellness Coalition, and the National Health and Human Trafficking Advocacy Collaborative Group. She is also a representative on the National Health Collaborative on Violence and Abuse in Washington, DC.
Honors and Awards
- Deans Honour List, (1998)
- Certificate of Outstanding Achievement Red Deer College, (2000)
- Certificate of Registration College of Nurses of Ontario, (2001-2012)
- Sigma Theta Tau Honour Society of Nursing, (2005-2012)
- Ontario Tobacco Network Veterans Honour Role, (2006)
- Graduate Research Award, (2006-2011)
- Kathleen Howe Registered Nurses Foundation of Ontario Scholarship Award, (2009)
- Sigma Theta Tau Honour Society of Nurses Iota Omicron Chapter Research Award, (2010)
- Community Health Nurses Interest Group Research Award, (2010)
- Faculty of Health Sciences Western University Travel Award, (2010)
- Canadian Institute of Health Research Institute of Gender and Health Research Travel Award , (2010)
- Faculty of Health Sciences Western University Travel Award, (2012)
- Recognition of Teaching Excellence Award, (2006 -2012)
- USC Teaching Honour Roll Award of Excellence, (2007-2011)
- Lousie Rickwood PHD Scholarship in Nursing Award, (2013)
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing Faculty Policy Intensive , (2013)
- Recognition of Teaching Excellence Award, (2006 through 2012 )
- USC Teaching Honour Roll Award of Excellence, (2007 through 2011)
Research FocusHealth Policy, Violence Against Women, Intimate Partner Violence, Structures and Systems, Structural Justice, Structural Violence, Social Justice, Community and Civic Engagement, Critical Theory and Evaluation.
Clinical FocusPublic and Population Health
Teaching FocusHealth Policy and Population and Public Health
- Member, Board of Directors Ontario Public Health Association (2005-2010)
- Sigma Theta Tau Honour Society of Nurses-Iota Omicron Chapter 2005-present
- Member, Community Health Nurses Interest Group (2007-2012)
- Member, Board of Directors, Nurses Network on Violence Against Women International (NNVAWI) (2009-2018)
- London Homelessness Outreach Network (2010-2012)
- Preventing Violence Across the Lifespan Research Network: A WHO CIHR Centre for Research Development on Gender, Mental Health and Violence Across the Lifespan. (2011-2012)
- Faculty of Health Sciences Distinguished Lecturer Committee. (2011-2012)
- Arthur Labatt Family School of Nursing Envisioning 2020 Committee (2012-2013)
- Member: ACHNE, APHA, CANS, ONS (2012-2013)
- APHA, ANA, SNRS, Representative, National Health Collaborative on Violence and Abuse (2012-2018)
- Advisor, Board of Directors, Sexual Assault Resource Agency (2013-2018)
- Member, Health and Human Trafficking Advocacy Collaborative Group (2013-2018)
News and TV
This week in Nursing (Monday, March 19, 2018) A nursing school 'without walls' (feature on prof. Camille Burnett's community health courses and clinical)
UVA Pulse Online (March 12, 2018) http://pulse.uvahealth.com/stories/nursing-school-without-walls
This week in Nursing February 8, 2016, 'Hoos in DC for National Cancer Prevention Day? https://intranet.nursing.virginia.edu/inursing/outreach/thisweek/
UVA SON News “Prof Burnett elected Vice-President of NNVAWI (November 7, 2016).
UVA SON News "Community exposure: A day in the life of a community health nursing student" - UVA Today, UVA Connect (10-25, 2016)
UVA Today, October 25, 2016 "Community exposure: A day in the life of a community health nursing student" https://www.news.virginia.edu/content/community-exposure-day-life-community-health-nursing-students?utm_source=VirginiaHome&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=news
The Cavalier Daily, November 10, 2015. UVA nursing professor appointed to national policy think tank. http://www.cavalierdaily.com/article/2015/11/u-va-nursing-prof-appointed-to-national-policy-think-tank
University of Virginia November 3, 2015. Nursing Professor Appointed to National Think Tank http://www.virginia.edu/
UVA SON News, October 28, 2015. Flexing RN muscle on a national stage: AACN appoints UVA’s Burnett to think tank. http://nursing.virginia.edu/news/son/name,20670,en.aspx
This week in Nursing October 26, 2015. Prof. Camille Burnett appointed to AACN's 'Faculty Policy Think Tank https://intranet.nursing.virginia.edu/inursing/outreach/thisweek/
AACN Press Release October 23, 2015. AACN Launches New Initiatives to Maximize Academic Nursing’s Role in shaping health policy http://www.aacn.nche.edu/news/articles/2015/policy-initiatives
NBC29.COM and This week in Nursing September 7, 2015 http://www.nbc29.com/category/175568/video-landing-page?clipId=11806952&autostart=true Albemarle County Democratic fundraiser for female candidates
This week in Nursing April 13, 2015 UVA Nursing has strong showing at NNVAWI https://secure.nursing.virginia.edu/inursing/outreach/thisweek/
The Cavalier Daily October 20, 2014 Vol. 125, Issue 16. Prof to evaluate abuse reportinghttp://www.cavalierdaily.com/article/2014/10/detecting-abuse
UVA Today October 7, 2014 Detecting domestic violence by computer: How well does it work? https://news.virginia.edu/content/detecting-domestic-violence-computer-how-well-does-it-work
UVA SON This week in Nursing October 6, 2014 Prof Burnett received 2-year, 312K NIOH minority supplement grant
AACN Government Affairs February 2014. Understanding the health insurance marketplace: A toolkit for nursing faculty http://www.aacn.nche.edu/government-affairs/market-place-tool-kit
UVA SON front page February 18, 2014 Nursing students take health topics to the General Assembly http://www.nursing.virginia.edu/news/son/name,9230,en.aspx
PULSE: Philanthropy in Action at the University of Virginia Health System Fall 2013, 19(1), p. 4.
UVA SON Legacy Magazine Cover page May 2013
UVA Innovation Project Sexual Assault Forensic Video May 8, 2013 https://vimeo.com/65768464
AACN Policy Beat March 2013, Volume 5 Issue 3 A Successful Inaugural Faculty Policy Intensive http://www.aacn.nche.edu/government-affairs/13Mar.pdf
AACN February 2013 News Watch. Faculty Policy Intensive Award Winners Announced http://www.aacn.nche.edu/media-relations/aacn-newswatch/2013/february
AACN Policy Beat February 2013, Volume 5 Issue 2 Inaugural faculty Policy Intensive Cohort Selected http://www.aacn.nche.edu/government-affairs/13Feb.pdf
NNVAWWI February 4, 2013 Newsletter-Celebrating the Network, p.1
UVA SON This week in nursing February 19, 2013 VNA Legislative day
Faculty support in the school of nursing video (January 23, 2013) http://www.youtube.com/watch/?v=yvvayL5GrGQ&list=UUZBPr0phbzka_f5l-bbh69A&index=6
Burnett, C., Bullock, L., Collins, C. A., & Hauser, L. (2016). Evaluation of a clinical cancer trial research training workshop: Helping nurses build capacity in Southwest Virginia. Public Health Nursing, 33(6), 565-572. doi:10.1111/phn.12295
Bacchus, L., Bullock, L., Sharps, P., Burnett, C., Schminkey, D., Buller, A.M., & Campbell, J. (2016). “Opening the Door”: A qualitative interpretive study of women’s experiences of being asked about intimate partner violence and receiving an intervention during perinatal home visits in rural and urban settings in the USA. Journal of Research in Nursing, 21(5-6), 345-364. doi:10.1177/1744987116649634
Bacchus, L., Bullock, L., Sharps, P., Burnett, C., Schminkey, D., Buller, A.M., & Campbell, J. (2016). Infusing technology into a perinatal home visitation intervention for women experiencing intimate partner violence in urban and rural settings in the USA. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 18(11), 302. doi:10.2196/jmir.6251
Burnett, C., Schminkey, D., Milburn, J., Kastello, J., Bullock, L., Campbell, J., & Sharps, P. (2016). Negotiating peril: The lived experience of rural, low-income women exposed to IPV during pregnancy and postpartum. Violence Against Women, 22(8), 943-965. doi:10.1177/1077801215614972
Burnett, C. & Bacchus, L. (2015). Women find safety planning more useful than referrals in a maternal and child health IPV intervention [Commentary on “Maternal and child health nurse screening and care for mothers experiencing domestic violence (MOVE): A cluster randomised trial” by A. J. Taft, L. Hooker, C. Humphreys, et al.].. Evidence-Based Nursing, (advance online publication), ebnurs-2015-102201. doi:10.1136/eb-2015-102201
Burnett, C., Ford-Gilboe, M., Berman, H., Ward-Griffin, C., & Wathen, N. (2015). A critical analysis of provincial policies impacting shelter service delivery to women exposed to violence. Policy, Politics, & Nursing Practice, 16(1-2), 5-16. doi:10.1177/1527154415583123
Burnett, C. & Laughon, K. (2015). Violence against women: An epidemic and a health issue. In E. E. Friberg & J. L. Creasia (Eds.), Conceptual foundations: The bridge to professional nursing practice (6th ed.) (pp. 321-333). St Louis, MO: Mosby Elsevier.
Technical and Research Reports
Curley, D., Short, N., Loriz, L., Sochalski, J., Anderson, A., Anderson, C., Brennan, P., Burnett, C., Lafevers, D., Maartinez-Rogers, N., & Waddell, A. (2017). American Association of Colleges of Nursing Faculty Policy Think Tank Report and Recommendations. (Report). Retrieved from http://www.aacnnursing.org/Portals/
- Burnett, C., Swanberg, M., Hudson, A. (April 9-11, 2015). Conceptualizing Structural Justice: The Context of Shaping IVP Shelter Services and Supports.
Paper Presented at the at the International Conference of the Nursing Network on Violence Against Women International, sponsored by Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, United States.
- Burnett, C., Swanburg, M., Hudson, A. (July 2014). Conceptualizing Structural Justice To Address Structural Challenges Faced By Women Exposed To Intimate Partner Violence In Shelter.
Papers presented at the International United Nations Millennium Development Goals Conference, University of Venda, South Africa.
(July 1, 14)
- Burnett C (2014). Speaking Truth to Power. Sociopolitical Action as Nursings’ Legacy and Moral Imperative
Virginia Student Nurses Association Annual Conference, Virginia Beach
(January 1, 14)
- Burnett C., Milburn, J., Kastell, J., Bullock, L., Campbell, J., & Sharps, P. (June 2013). "That night I didn't fight back because I was more worried about the baby….": The Lived Experience of Rural, Low Income Women Exposed to IPV During Pregnancy and Postpartum.
Papers presented at the International Conference of the Nursing Network on Violence Against Women International, sponsored by the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada.
(June 1, 13)
- Burnett, C. (June 27, 2012). Examining the Effects of Policies on the Delivery of Shelter Services to Women who have Experienced Intimate Partner Violence.
Papers presented at the Final PhD Dissertation Defense, Western University, London, Ontario, Canada.
(June 27, 12)
- Burnett, C. (March 6, 2012). The Day to Day Reality of the Delivery of Shelter Services in the Context of System and Policy Demands.
Papers presented at the International Conference of the Nursing Network on Violence Against Women International, sponsored by the University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia.
(March 6, 12)
- Burnett, C. (October 13, 2011). Guest Lecturer: “Experience of completing Oral PhD Examination”
University of Western Ontario to Doctoral Students
(October 13, 11)
- Burnett, C. (February 2011). Examining the Effects of Policies on the Delivery of Shelter Services to Women who have Experienced Intimate Partner Violence.
Papers presented at the International Conference of the Nursing Network on Violence Against Women International, sponsored by the University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand.
(February 1, 11)