Building inclusivity awareness in online teaching
Develop inclusivity mindset
- Bring an inclusive mindset to all that you do in class
- How can I structure class so that all can learn and feel a sense of belonging?
Use reflection for awareness
- Know yourself. What identities, background experiences, and values do I bring to my class?
- Know your students. what are my studens’ demographics, cultural backgrounds, and languages spoken?
Create a brave space
- Welcome and respect all identities
- Build trust and rapport.
- Foster challenging dialogues re:difference.
Humanize Learning Environment
- Make personal connections,
- Know names and use preferred pronouns
- Use gender neutral, inclusive language
Examine Course elements
- Use an inclusivity lens
- Review course content, assignments, teaching methods to integrate diversity and equity
Avoid stereotypes and othering
- Avoid using examples that generalize or categorize a person based on race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or other social identity
- Create class norm to respectfully challenge bias when it occurs