HALT the discussion
- Pause to consider the comment.
- Ask for clarification.
- Express appreciation for raising the issue.
- Focus on the idea.
- Deconstruct the comment without placing the individual on the defensive.
ENGAGE with the issue
- Self-check, check the room/virtual room, look for body language, listen for tone. How are others responding?
- Discuss the issue in a non-judgmental, respectful manner.
ALLOW exchange of opinions, stories, perspectives, and reactions
- Let others express their thoughts, beliefs, feelings, and opinions
LEARN deeply to one another
- What can we learn from one another's experiences or observations?
- Even with conflict, there can be a positive take-away like gaining a perspective and understanding for views and beliefs that challenge our own
SYNTHESIZE the discussion
- Think about why does this discussion matter?
- Can you relate the conversation back to health equity, quality of care, and/or respect?
Resource: UCSF SON Diversity in Action Committee, 2016