Resources and volunteer opportunities
Work on a committee, be a council member, or mentor a current nursing student – We welcome the involvement of anyone wishing to personally connect with the School of Nursing: alumni, parents, students and friends. Many options exist for involvement, many of which can happen at a distance.
Not sure which is the right fit for you? Fill out our volunteer interest form; we'll look for opportunities that match your interests, skills, proximity, and availability.
We welcome the involvement of anyone who wants to connect personally to the School of Nursing - alumni, parents, students, and friends. There are many options available, some that can be done from a distance.
- Class Advocates and Reunion Representatives
- Alumni Council
- Alumni Board
- Parents' Council
The SONAA sponsors scholarships and fellowships for current nursing students:
- Roy Beazley Merit Scholarships ($2,500 each for the 2017-2018 academic year)
- Graduate Merit Fellowships ($2,500 each for the 2017-2018 academic year)
- BSN to DNP Pathway Scholarship ($2,500 for the 2017-2018 academic year)
For more information, contact the School of Nursing Office of Admissions and Student Services.
School of Nursing Alumni Scholarship
The SONAA also sponsors an annual alumni scholarship for a UVA nursing alumna/alumnus returning for additional nursing education at any institution. All UVA nursing alumni who are enrolled in a degree-granting program or certificate program are eligible to apply. For the 2017-2018 academic year, the deadline for the Alumni Scholarship is June 1. The recipient will be notified in July via email. To apply the application form is here.
Tabitha S. Grier Medical Assistance Fund
On behalf of the SONAA, the School of Nursing Alumni & Development Office accepts applications throughout the year for this fund. Awards are available to UVA nursing alumni who need help shouldering the burden of their health care bills. The annual deadline is August 1 for consideration for awards in the fall. All qualified alumni are invited and encouraged to apply.
Criteria for application:
- Applicant must be a UVA School of Nursing alumna or alumnus, and funds must be used for personal medical expenses (not those of a family member or spouse).
- Funds shall be used toward health care costs not covered by insurance, Medicare, or Medicaid.
- Funds can be used toward medications, physician or nursing care, in-home or nursing home expenses, medical supplies and/or equipment, or hospitalization.
- Applicant's annual income must be $25,000 or less; otherwise, applicant will need to demonstrate indigence in being unable to afford needed health care.
- There are no age restrictions.
Mail complete application packets by August 1 to:
UVA School of Nursing Alumni Association
Attention: Grier Fund Selection Committee
Alumni & Development Office
PO Box 801015
Charlottesville, VA 22908-0105
Questions may be directed to the Alumni & Development Office, (434) 924-0138.
Nominate a UVA nursing alumna/alumnus for one of the SONAA prestigious alumni awards, selected annually:
- Distinguished Alumni Award: The SONAA's highest recognition, it is awarded to a graduate who has demonstrated outstanding contributions in one or more of the following areas: teaching and scholarship, leadership, research, clinical practice, and/or contributions to the Nursing Alumni Association.
- Decade Award: Recognizes outstanding efforts early in a graduate's nursing career. To be considered for this award, nominees must have received their entry level nursing degree (BSN or CNL) from the UVA School of Nursing less than 10 years ago; still be engaged in the practice of nursing; and have been practicing nursing for less than 10 years. Nominees should show distinction in the areas of scholarship, leadership, teaching, research, nursing practice, and/or volunteer efforts, perhaps beyond what might be expected early in one's career; to some extent, this award recognizes promise for the future and an expectation of sustained excellence.
- Alumni Achievement Award: This award honors an alumna or alumnus who has shown superior achievement in a field other than nursing since graduating from the UVA School of Nursing. It recognizes distinction in one's field and/or contributions to another profession, business or industry, government or public service, education, science or technology, or service to humanity.
Nominations are due on July 1 and are reviewed over the summer. Recipients are notified in August and formally announced in the fall. Make your nomination here.