FAQs: Transferring from another college or university

Course Related

I have a bachelor's degree. Do you offer an accelerated BSN program? Can I apply as a transfer student?

No, we do not have an accelerated BSN program and students who have completed a bachelor's degree in another field cannot apply as a transfer student. You are eligible to apply to the Master's Entry MSN: Clinical Nurse Leader program.

What prerequisites do I have to take before transferring?

The following prerequisite courses for all transfer students need to be completed prior to starting our program in the summer (May) semester:

  • Human Anatomy and Physiology I and II with labs (4 credits each)
  • Chemistry (at least 3 credits)
  • Microbiology (at least 3 credits)
  • Developmental psychology (3 credits)
  • English Composition (3-6 credits)
  • 9 credits of social science/history coursework
  • 9 credits of humanities/fine arts coursework
  • 9-11 credits of general education coursework

Note: accepted students can complete these courses in the spring semester prior to the start of the summer semester, if needed.

How do I know if the courses offered at my present college will meet the required prerequisites?

A list of the approved and commonly transferred prerequisite courses can be found on the BSN transfer page. This list is not exhaustive; please contact nursing-admissions@virginia.edu if you have questions about a course that is not on this list.

What courses meet the social science/history requirement?

Acceptable courses include sociology, psychology, history, economics, political science, and anthropology.

What courses meet the humanities/fine arts requirement?

Acceptable courses include art appreciation, music appreciation, foreign language, literature, religious studies and philosophy.

Which of my courses will transfer to UVA?

Most courses that fit our general education guidelines will likely transfer to UVA as long as they have been completed with a grade of C or better and were taken at an accredited college or university. Typically, if UVA offers a similar course, there is a good chance the credit will transfer. If you have questions about transfer of credit, please refer to the UVA Transfer Credit Analyzer.

How do I get my transcripts evaluated?

Prospective students should schedule an appointment to meet with Kim Dieber, the Coordinator for Recruitment and Community Engagement, to discuss the transfer requirements for this program. 

What kind of advanced placement credit do you accept?

UVA only accepts AP examination test scores for advanced placement in coruses.

Should I take the second writing requirement before transferring?

No. You are required to complete the second writing requirement by taking a course at UVA.

Does English Composition Part II count as the second writing requirement?

No. English Composition Part I and II (ex. ENG 111 and 112 at a Virginia Community College) together meet the first writing requirement at UVA. The second writing requirement must be completed at UVA.

How long will it take to complete the nursing program once I transfer in?

The accelerated transfer BSN program is a two year full-time program which includes two summer sessions and one January term. 

Are there additional requirements for international applicants?

We encourage all international applicants to contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions to inquire about additional requirements.

Application Process

When is the application deadline?

October 1

Are transfer applications accepted on a rolling admissions basis?

No. There is one application deadline, October 1.

Can I transfer into UVA mid-year?

The UVA School of Nursing does not accept mid-year transfers.

Can I apply to both the accelerated transfer and regular transfer program?

When am I notified about admission?

Transfer admission decisions are typically posted online by ___.

Do you look at my high school record?

Yes, we do.

Does your program require an entrance exam, such as the TEAS?

No, there are no entrance exams for our program.

What kind of experience are you looking for prior to applying to the School of Nursing?

Strong academic experience and some kind of exposure or experience in health care or nursing: volunteering, shadowing, internships, and/or work experience. Your experience may fall within a wide continuum of exposure to the field.

When can I visit the School of Nursing?

We offer student-led tours most weekdays during the academic year (please phone ahead: 434-924-2743). We offer information sessions approximately twice a year.

What is the average GPA for transfer students?

Statistics regarding the average GPA can be found on the BSN transfer page. When we review academic records we are looking to see that you have taken challenging courses and done very well in them.

Where do I get an application?

Applications are available online through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Where should I mail my transcripts?

Official transcripts should be sent to the University of Virginia, Office of Undergraduate Admission, PO Box 400160, Charlottesville, VA 22904.

What standardized test scores need to be submitted?

Submitting SAT or ACT scores is optional for transfer students.

What kind of financial aid do you offer?

All financial aid for undergraduate students at UVA is administered through UVA Student Financial Services. To apply, you need to complete the federal FAFSA form, the CSS/Profile form, and a School of Nursing financial aid form. All aid is need-based; the University meets 100% of demonstrated need.

For additional information on admission and programs, contact the School of Nursing Office of Admissions and Student Services by email or phone: (434) 924-2743 or (888) 283-8703.

The information contained on this website is for informational purposes only. The Undergraduate Record and Graduate Record represent the official repository for academic program requirements.